Small bag - big lens dilemma - any leads?

I am looking to downsize my shoulder bags to one that will just hold the essentials: a wide zoom, a mid-zoom, and a heavy 80-200mm Nikon AP-S tele-zoom. Room for a prime as well would be nice, but not essential. Easy in a backpack, right? But so far I haven't run across a smallish shoulder bag that could handle this outfit. Can anybody help with a lead on one? I would be grateful.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
That will be very heavy, I use a crumpler 7 million dollar bag I bought over a decade ago, holds D3s body on 24-70 2.8, with 70-200vr2 and 14-24 in the bag also. Carry a few spare batteries and filters, nice package but heavy. What I use on Jobs and photo gigs. May find used, super high quality, rugged and protects the gear well.

Recommended Crumpler models now? Do not know which one carries same amount of gear

The think tank retrospective 30 v2 is a similar size and quality. As always, though, high dollar.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Shoulder bags put a lot of strain on one side of the body and neck. Have you considered a back pack that evenly distributes the weight....or a cross body strap?

I have an assortment of lowepro and Samsonite , with the Lowepro " Slingshot 300 " as Most used of them,Will hold what you describe and are Comfortable ( full day use ) Quick and Practical , when slung in front it can be used as a table / third hand...Best bag purchase through the years sofar.... 👍

I have carried a similar setup in a Think Tank UD-35 (discontinued but available on eBay) and a Think Tank Speed Racer, which has a waist strap and moves some/most of the weight to the hips. With the UD-35 you can have the 70-200 mounted on the camera; not so with the Speed Racer. There are other Urban Disguise (UD) models available on eBay. I always liked that line of bags and still wonder why Think Tank discontinued them.

That will be very heavy, I use a crumpler 7 million dollar bag I bought over a decade ago, holds D3s body on 24-70 2.8, with 70-200vr2 and 14-24 in the bag also. Carry a few spare batteries and filters, nice package but heavy. What I use on Jobs and photo gigs. May find used, super high quality, rugged and protects the gear well.

Recommended Crumpler models now? Do not know which one carries same amount of gear

The think tank retrospective 30 v2 is a similar size and quality. As always, though, high dollar.
Thank you for the tip. My gear may be just a bit lighter, but not by much. I know it will be heavy, but those are the lens I have for now for photojournalistic use. I have lots of bags to go lighter or heavier, but the smallest possible bag to haul all that and be able to lay down and access quickly has eluded me. I'll keep my eyes out.

Shoulder bags put a lot of strain on one side of the body and neck. Have you considered a back pack that evenly distributes the weight....or a cross body strap?
A matter of personal taste, of course, but I've always found getting into and out of backpacks to be too much of a pain (no pun intended) compared to a shoulder bag. The side-weight-strain just doesn't seem to bother me much. I'm not hiking with the bag, just using it on a location, usually after a short trip from the car.

Last edited:
I have an assortment of lowepro and Samsonite , with the Lowepro " Slingshot 300 " as Most used of them,Will hold what you describe and are Comfortable ( full day use ) Quick and Practical , when slung in front it can be used as a table / third hand...Best bag purchase through the years sofar.... 👍
I've thought about but haven't yet tried a Slingshot. It may be the compromise I need to make. Thanks .... encouraging.

I have carried a similar setup in a Think Tank UD-35 (discontinued but available on eBay) and a Think Tank Speed Racer, which has a waist strap and moves some/most of the weight to the hips. With the UD-35 you can have the 70-200 mounted on the camera; not so with the Speed Racer. There are other Urban Disguise (UD) models available on eBay. I always liked that line of bags and still wonder why Think Tank discontinued them.
Thanks, Tony. I think I may have explored the UD-35 a few years ago. Actually I'd rather not have the long lens on the camera, which is one of the complicating factors in my quest. So the Speed Racer sounds encouraging. I'll give it a list.

Thank you all for the tips so far, folks. I'm not sure I explained my dilemma. The old 80-200mm f/2.8 AP-S is longer, heavier, and has a wider diameter that any lens of this type that Nikon has made since. And for the photojournalistic use I expect this bag to serve, I'd really like to have body and the three lenses quickly at hand, but not attached. If I have one lens attached I would wish it to be the mid-zoom, not the long zoom.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
A matter of personal taste, of course, but I've always found getting into and out of backpacks to be too much of a pain (no pun intended) compared to a shoulder bag. The side-weight-strain just doesn't seem to bother me much. I'm not hiking with the bag, just using it on a location, usually after a short trip from the car.
On those cases, I use a vest with large pockets and/or a waist belt with a couple of individual lens bags on either side. Think Tank offers a good selection of belts and lens bags. Lenses are easily accessible and the weight is nicely distributed. Good luck in your search for what fits YOUR needs.

Real Name
Ken
I've got one, Ken, but it just doesn't quite accomodate the 80-200mm AF-S (it did hold, just barely, the 80-200 two-ring I used to use.) Otherwise probably my favorite bag.
And I was worried that the F2 would be too large to be called a small bag. I wonder if this bag could hold your lens in the side zip compartment - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1347080-REG/vanguard_veo_discover_38_discreet.html ? It is supposed to hold a small tripod, so it might take your lens. I am not sure if they have other bags in thier line with a similar "hatch", but it does keep the size of the bag down a bit. May be worth a look.

Good luck,

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom