1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Small bag suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by fotographik, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Before I go out and buy another bag, I'd like to get some of your input. I'm in need of a smaller bag. Something that will hold either of my bodies with the Sig 28-70 or Nikkor 85 1.4 attached and a little room for my SB-600. Ideally, it would permit me to readily access the camera and not scream "camera bag". Any suggestions???

2. Here is one I have that I like...

If I don't want to take a backpack.. or a HUGE bag... I take this:

54527_1_4?&.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://www.caselogic.com/large_slr_camera_case_5_lens/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=54527

It is supposed to hold 5 lenses, but no way. It will hold one on each side and one attached to the camera in the middle. It is not too bad to carry around. The bottom is some rigid material, not just canvas.

If you have a Circuit City close, they usually have them in stock.. so you could go look at one.

Don

3. Thanks for the info Don...I've never this model of bag before.

LBD...I never even thought of Domke...I thought they only made large bags. I'll definetely look at that option as I really love my F2.

4. Still shout camera bag tho'

Why not have a look in an army surplus type store for a small messenger style bag - I'm using a small camo bag for a SB-600 (in case), D300 with 85/1.8 attached and a 50/1.8 in the front pocket. One thing it doesn't shout is "CAMERA - PLEASE STEAL ME".

5. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I have a lowepro Slingshot 100AW. This holds my D80 w/17-55 with the Darth Vader hood extended. The top holds my SB600 and I can probably squeeze my 50mm. Not much more can fit there. I like it because there is a cover built in just in case it rains and also, I can sling the bag in front of me to yank camera out. Safe enough that I don't use a neck strap but I do use a hand strap.

6. RedTownCats

RedTownCats

Jun 23, 2007
    UK
    My current walk round is the Lowepro 180 AW.

[​IMG]

The body in the picture is a D80, with SB-600 upper middle, a 10.5 under the blower and a Sigma 30 in the lower right corner. SB stand and Optech strap lower middle. Canon 500D in padded section next to lens under the D80. Various bits in front zip compartment.

Often 'swap' the blower for a 35/2 and carry a 70-300VR where the Sigma 30 is. There was an 18-200 on the D80 at the time but a 17-55 fits as well.

Your grip for the D200 will take a bit more space...

-- Have carried a 2nd body (N80) where the Sigma 30 is.

It does look like a camera bag though.

If you are happy to live without the grip you might just squeeze your kit into a 160 AW but it would be tight. The 160 doesn't look so obvious but I find it just that little bit too small.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  7. +1 on the Think Tank Urban Disguise 30. It's what I use when I want to go light.

8. Good idea...I'll swing by our local surplus to see what they have.

Unfortunately, I already have a Slingshot 200AW and can't really say I liked it. I think it's the sling type design of the bag and the way it fits on my large frame that turne dme off to it. I should sell it as it is on my closet shelf not doing anything.

Thanks Don, it's worth a look.

Thanks for the info. I know Lowepro make very good bags but its looks and logo tend to say "expensive gear inside, please steal me".

9. 2 votes for that model... I'll really have to check it out. Thanks!

10. Sconti

Sconti

May 14, 2008
    London
    Another one to consider although maybe too big is the Tenba Messenger which comes in small or large sizes and some whacky colours (if you don't want black). There's room for everything in a padded drop-in insert (plus padded section for notebook) and can be be a regular shoulder bag when not toting cameras. I use mine occasionally as a camera bag but more as a work bag...
    Best wishes,
    sconti

11. I like my Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home for my D-80 and 80-200 2.8. There's enough room for a flash and another small lens. Well made, nice padding, and it looks more like a metro-sexual man-bag than a camera bag.

12. Thanks Sconti, I'll look into that model as well.

I've called my local B&M store and they apparently have one...I'll swing by tomorrow to check it out.

13. mtan

mtan

May 26, 2006
    USA
    I picked up a MountainSmith Tour not too long ago. Not only can it hold camera gear -- it makes a nice daypack as well.

14. Never heard of that one...I'll check it out. (So many choices!!!) Thanks Micah.

15. I like the ThinkTank Speed waist pack series. They have three sizes and I picked the middle one.

A couple of things I like are that by using a waist pack you keep your hands free and when you bend over you don't have to worry about the bag slipping off your shoulder and grabbing it.

Second, I like how the top flap opens away from your body, thus allowing easier access and at the same time people don't see what you have in it.

Plus, I like the way the ThinkTank products are made.

16. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

Domke 5B
    2194051159_246bcbfce1_o.png

418F82GK84L._SS500_.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.