Small Dragonfly and a Hover fly.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dragon fly close-up and a Hoverfly giving the tongue a good cleaning.

Sometimes you can get very close, the diffuser on the reversed lens setup seems to give my somthing to hide behind so I can get very close.

I include a crop so you can see the detail I am getting with this setup, web picures just don't do it justice, what I wonder though would it get better with a higer quality lens since this is just a low end Yashica lens from over twenty years ago, or would I just get moire with a sharper lens.

29757111-L.
    29757115-L.
    29762981-L.

Martin

Attached Files:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Martin, you and Klaus are the undisputed masters of the extreme close-up. I've very impressed. Makes me want to learn more about this set-up.

Very well done.

3. Unbelievable Martin...!! Just incredible detail :)

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Martin, I'm late getting here but I think you're doing wonderful work. Would you explain your 'setup' for me? If I understand correctly you're using a lens reversed and it is mounted with a reversing ring?
    Jarrell

5. Hi Jarrell, yes I am using a reveresed 28 mm Yashica lens. At first I was using a home made reversing ring that I made from a body cap and 52mm filter with the glass removed and epoxied together but now I have purchased a BR-2A Nikon reversing ring, it works the same as my homemade ring but it is a nice solid piece of metal.

I also use the built in flash with a diffuser made from a milk jug.

There are some draw backs like no metering and I have to set the flash power from the menu and no 1/3 ev adjustments for the flash which can be a pain.

Also I have to focus with the lens stopped down to f11 and the depth of field is less than a millimeter.

So the keeper ration is pretty low and almost imposible to use standing up although the dragonfly was, works best when sitting down with your arms braced against your legs.

Also with the dark viewfinder I use an eyecup and I also have to cup my had over my eye or I can see anything through the viefinder, also you pretty well dont see anything in the viewfinder till the supject comes into focus.

A reversed 50 is a lot easier to use and gives 1:1 but I find I have trouble telling when things are in focus with the fifty, with the 28 I am so close it makes it easier to tell the exact focus point.

Here is a picture of the setup.
    25966115-L.

And this is one of my favorites so far.
    I was sat down nice and braced holding the daisy stem in my hand and bracing the camera against it, I had the micro shakes that day so the daisy was vibrating like crazy in the viewfinder but I got lucky and one was in focus.

25534982-L.

Martin

6. Thank you very much Frank, I gave Jarrel the run down on the setup if your interested, its a lot cheaper than buying a 200 f4 and gets a lot closer. :twisted:

Martin

7. Thanks Mike, I like it wihen it actually works out they way you want.

Martin

8. I second that. I still have a long way to go to produce such quality outside my lab.

Cheers

9. Thanks Harry, I have been working on my Manfrotto focus rail trying to get it so the action is smoother and the viewfinder doesn't go side to side while I am adjusting it, I think I have it figured out and will try it this weekend in the field for some multi layer shots if I can find anything cooperative.

Martin

10. Martin,

This is major league close-up photography, the #3 is my favorite.

Thanks for explaining on the set-up.