Small Faces

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    These are from this morning's U11 game...
    I shot 3 U11 games yesterday and 2 today.
    I think we all shoot for the faces & this is why I have switched the games I shoot this year from U16 to U9-U11

D300 + 300 2.8 all at 2.8
    I have decided to shoot all field sports at 2.8 from now on. It's dangerous in that you lose alot of shots but it really helps clean up the backgrounds on these fields, especially during tournaments (like this weekend) where there are teams and people everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

fantastic Randy ....armed and dangerous!!!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, you definitely have your soccer technique down to a science. We have some extraordinary soccer shooters on this site, it amazes me how you all capture the action so well. Love the action and the tight crops. The sportraits are always a treat too, love the facial closeups.

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Mark (I think I owe you for the 2.8)

thx Frank....this is the sport that buys the gear so I spend alot of time shooting it. I love the no head gear so I can get those faces. Parents who pay for private club soccer buy pics !

5. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    well done series Randy

6. These are definately top notch! Just beautiful, Randy.......

7. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    one word, solid :)

8. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    ka-ching

9. Lovely shots Randy! What did he do in #3? LOL looks like ne's getting an ear bashing!!. Kind regards Graham.

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

not bad randy !! ... looks like the light was good !!

11. Well done Randy. You've got the tools and you're using them like a crafstman. Excellent capture of personality and effort.

12. randy,
    i do love the expressions on these younger kid's faces
    i'm so glad you have decided to shoot younger this year

i hope that decision will translate into more purchases
    these are awesome.... the parents will be thrilled

13. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Randy, you'll find that photos of kids in those ages sell better than the 16-18 year ages. With shots like these you'll have that 400VR paid for before you expected. :biggrin:

The non-school league that I shoot has U6,8,10,12,15, and 18. They leave game selection up to me. I shoot mostly the U8,10, and some U6 and 12. I only shoot the 15 and 18 if I get a request from a coach or parent.

I get the same results in baseball and softball. Good orders in the 6-12 age group. Little from the older kids.

14. Outstanding captures Randy. Great focus, love the bokeh and color.

mike

15. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Lookin good randy... better get all the pratice in that you can b4 i come up there LOL

16. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I agree with that 100%

17. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Great shots Randy.

18. Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Aug 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Randy:

I thought that you always used f2.8 for your sports photography....

How many shots are out of focus of every 10?

If you are using AF and get out of focus shots....with a MF 300mm 2.8 lens with a 1.4 TC on a D700 would be worse?

Thanks,

Cesar Rubio.
    Cambridge Wisconsin, USA.
    http://www.davidrubio3d.com/

19. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Mark (bte, this tournament was in Greensboro)

thx Mark

thx Matthew

almost definetly

thx Graham....the ref got in his way...it was kinda funny (not for him tho)

thx chris

thx Mike

thx greg

thx jim

thx Mike

i'm ready:biggrin:

thx Ron

i used to shoot with the 1.4 tc on the 300
    2.8 is even thinner on a FF so i would think you would miss even more.

3 things can happen:
    1. because i shoot in 'focus + release' priority I can just not have focus and still fire...this doesn't happen as often as you would think considering you have told the cam it's ok to fire w/o having focus
    2. i can focus on the wrong thing (a tall kid in the background, a parent on the sidelines, etc)...this happens more than #1
    3. i can hit the kid in the stomach or too far below the eyes and 2.8 can ruin the pic..this rarely happens and is why I am shooting at 2.8 and getting away with it

out of 400 pics in 1 game I tossed approx 50...sometimes less sometimes more

I shoot 50k-60k pics a year. Even with my bad right arm i have become like a sniper with my ability to hit the eyes, even at the other end of the field on a moving target (practice makes perfect)...i don't say this to be arrogant, only so that everyone knows that if you do it enough you will see the same results

20. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

Agreed. This has finally sunk into my pea-brain. Clean and/or blurred background trumps having more shots with distracting backgrounds.

Great stuff, as always.