Small Town Car Show

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Terri French, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I live in a town of about 50,000 people. We had a car show at our local park yesterday. Here are a few shots from the show. I have had virtually no experience taking pictures of cars. All the reflections, shadows, and people made it very difficult. I would love suggestions and comments on how I can improve.

Taken with D70 and 18-70mm lens.

The full gallery is here:

http://www.pbase.com/terrif/tautphaus_park_car_show_2005

2. Interesting selection you have here, Terri. I got a kick out of #5, but this big black baby that you have at the end is my favorite. Love the perspective and reflections you got here.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Terri,

I like the last one best. I also like no. 3, but feel that there could be a bit more space in front of the car.

I only once shot pictures of a car - it's not easy to cope with all the reflections.

Nice pictures.

4. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Terri
    Number 2 and 4 are great

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi terri-

some nice photos there, good exposure to balance the mixed shade and direct sunlight.

ricky

6. Perfect captures of shiny classic cars, real nice!

I would take the first car right away, if it has a baby seat?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Terri,

Thats a tough assignment :>))

First one I love....I'll take it...

I am not much of a car person.

Can't really critique because I do not know how to handle the light.

I am finding manual a bit easier though.

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Terri,

One of the toughest problems when trying to shoot cars in a car show is that you are at the mercy of the background. I have the same problem when I shoot youth sports...parents behind the backstop, along the fences, moms and dads sitting in collapsable chairs, etc. Doesn't anyone sit on the bleachers anymore!!! :x Sorry, I'm okay now!!! :lol:
    Try taking 3/4 shots of the vehicle...for example, go to the left-front corner of the car and shoot so you can see the front of the car and the left side in the image. Take the same shot, but bring a 3-step ladder along and shoot the image from the top of the ladder....or...lie down on your tummy and shoot upward. Find an old Chevy with tail fins ('57 Chevy, '59 Chevy) and shoot from the rear to the front along the rear fender but be sure to capture the tail light. Get images of fender emblems. Pop the hood and get a shot looking downward onto the engine...especially if it's chromed. And it you are lucky to have an open space...pose the car for that 3/4 shot and get far enough away to use your longest lens and open it up wide shooting in aperature priority to blur the foreground and background...try turning the steering wheel a little to the left if you are shooting the left side of the car. You can also get a great shot with the same technique but shoot the car head-on.
    You just have to use some imagination! I hope this helps!

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I haven't forgotten all of you

Last night we had a big family get-together for Father's Day and I am getting ready for work now. I have read all of your replies and will post some individual responses later today.

I appreciate every one who has commented.

Terri

10. neat shot of the Desoto. did you help the poor bloke get out of the trunk?

11. Samir

Samir

Apr 8, 2005
    Some good shots. I think the hardest part about shooting cars is finding the right angle. Some cars look good from a low angle, some from a high one. Some are good from a side and some from the front or back. To a certain extent it helps to know about the cars so you can accentuate what makes the car unique.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Virginia

Glad you think the reflections are ok. Wasn't sure if they were effective or not.

13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Heiko

That last car is beautiful. A better setting certainly would have made for a better picture of it. I agree about the space in front for #3. There were just too many people standing at the front of it. Oh well, maybe next time.

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Hans. I was experimenting with capturing detail areas of the cars. It was something new for me. I think they turned out pretty good. Anyway, I had fun with it.

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Glad you liked them Ricky. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Sorry Michael. My husband is already lusting after that Thunderbird.

Sounds like you need a mini-van anyway. :wink:

17. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I'm really not a car person either. But, my husband loves these car shows. Taking pictures gives me something to do there. I would take that first car, too. Or, I would take it, sell it, and buy me some really nice lenses. :lol:

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Great suggestions, Frank

Sounds like you have lots of car experience. I can see I need that 70-200 lens that I am dreaming of!!!!

I did get a chromed engine of another car not posted here. It was a hard shot with some very bright reflections. I'm sure I'll be going to more car shows to try out some of your ideas. My husband inherited a Model A ford from his dad. We need to start working on it.

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Those car show people do some fun things with their cars!!! That arm out of the trunk was so cute. Is the black car a Desoto. My father in law had a Desoto that my sister-in-law inherited. I didn't remember it looking quite like that car, but I am probably wrong. Not much of a car person myself--just a good wife who goes to the car shows with her husband. I have fun watching him see the cars.

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks for commenting. I guess in the future I'll have my husband let me know what is unique about each car.