Critique Small waterfall

In preparation for a trip out west this summer (thank you, vaccine!), I'm practicing landscape shots so I'll be able to (hopefully) get a few decent shots on my wanderings.

I shoot sports and events, so I don't really have a background in this. Any feedback is welcome.

This is a small waterfall a county south of where I live. It's about 20 foot tall. I shot from two different areas, one at the bottom of the cascades and then from this area, which is a small platform on top of the stairs that lead to the bottom. I liked this angle better even though it doesn't show the full falls. Tried several different compositions while shooting and messed with the crop a bit while editing this, but this is what I settled on.

Thanks for looking!

BPB_2019-Edit-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think this is very nice. However I think cropping in on the sides to eliminate the greenery would give more emphasis to the falls and add impact the photo overall.

I am using my phone, so I just zoomed in and did a screenshot. Something like that I think looks a little better.

Attachments

• C47A97E9-1CA8-4C9B-8CF0-A9BC4A071C1D.jpeg
    C47A97E9-1CA8-4C9B-8CF0-A9BC4A071C1D.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 21
Real Name
Andy
Excellent composition. I think you were right to sacrifice some of the vertical component of the falls in favor of showcasing the whiteness of the water against the surrounding elements.

As you asked for critique, the one thing I find odd in the image is the way the water in the foreground seems to flow unnaturally. There is a curling motion that appears to defy gravity near the bottom of the frame. I would suggest a little localized post processing to address that. Or perhaps you have another slightly shorter exposure from the same session that conveys the flow of the water differently.

I think what Andy is seeing is just due to the extreme long exposure. When I was a beginner, I used to think that the longer the shutter speed for shots like this, the better. While we do want that soft look, sometimes longer isn't better. I usually try different speeds. Maybe 1 second would have been enough here. Hard to say without seeing it.

Really nice exposure and great light for showcasing a waterfall.

I like seeing the sides of the image but would probably crop a little off the left if it was mine. I would treat the greenery on the right as negative space toward which the flow of the waterfall is "pointing."

If I'm seeing the same thing Andy is seeing, I think it's because the water actually is traveling a bit upward rather than falling. That can happen in a waterfall when the water lands on a ledge that leans upward before the water falls off it.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I think this is very nice. However I think cropping in on the sides to eliminate the greenery would give more emphasis to the falls and add impact the photo overall.

I am using my phone, so I just zoomed in and did a screenshot. Something like that I think looks a little better.

Really nice exposure and great light for showcasing a waterfall.

I like seeing the sides of the image but would probably crop a little off the left if it was mine. I would treat the greenery on the right as negative space toward which the flow of the waterfall is "pointing."

If I'm seeing the same thing Andy is seeing, I think it's because the water actually is traveling a bit upward rather than falling. That can happen in a waterfall when the water lands on a ledge that leans upward before the water falls off it.

Thanks, Rodney and Mike. I spent the most time in editing trying to decide on the crop. Here's a different version (and this one was from an image taken with a 1-second shutter speed).

BPB_2014-Edit.jpg

As you asked for critique, the one thing I find odd in the image is the way the water in the foreground seems to flow unnaturally. There is a curling motion that appears to defy gravity near the bottom of the frame. I would suggest a little localized post processing to address that. Or perhaps you have another slightly shorter exposure from the same session that conveys the flow of the water differently.
I think what Andy is seeing is just due to the extreme long exposure. When I was a beginner, I used to think that the longer the shutter speed for shots like this, the better. While we do want that soft look, sometimes longer isn't better. I usually try different speeds. Maybe 1 second would have been enough here. Hard to say without seeing it.
I believe that was due to the 2-second exposure time. Here's two of my discarded images to show what the falls looks like, both with quicker shutter speeds.

1. From the bottom:

BPB_2013-Edit.jpg

2. Vertical shot from the second, higher spot:

BPB_2032.jpg

And here's a YouTube video someone took of it, if anyone's interested to see it in motion:

Of the images you've posted, I think frame BPB_2013 is strongest. Clone away the branches in front of the top tier of the falls and you have a very fine photograph.

This is better. But I think my fav is your 'from the bottom' shot. A powerful composition.

Thanks, Andy and Binnur! I thought the brush on the right side was too distracting, so that's why I initially discarded it. Appreciate the feedback!

I agree about the crop. But also do some selective burning in to reduce the brightness of the foliage on the right side. This give it a quieter, more serene atmosphere.

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 12
Thank you all for the feedback!

Thanks, Rodney and Mike. I spent the most time in editing trying to decide on the crop. Here's a different version (and this one was from an image taken with a 1-second shutter speed).

View attachment 1682393
This is very pretty. Any critique would be nitpicking. When I shoot waterfalls, I like a little bit shorter shutter speed. My favorite view of the water is the one with the 1/2" shutter speed. It isn't the best composition of the bunch but there is a bit more detail in the water. I think you did very well with all of these!!

I also really like the second to last shot. The last one is nice as well. The re-crop of the original is more powerful compared to your original.

^ me too. 2nd from last one posted is my favorite. Very nicely done.
Thanks to both of you.
I agree about the crop. But also do some selective burning in to reduce the brightness of the foliage on the right side. This give it a quieter, more serene atmosphere.
Indeed it does! Thanks for that; I will remember that for the future.
This is very pretty. Any critique would be nitpicking. When I shoot waterfalls, I like a little bit shorter shutter speed. My favorite view of the water is the one with the 1/2" shutter speed. It isn't the best composition of the bunch but there is a bit more detail in the water. I think you did very well with all of these!!
Thanks, Terri! I will remember shutter speed tip.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom