Small Winery in Morgan Hill, CA (CC welcome)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by cleoent, Sep 7, 2008.

1. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Hi all, I did a shoot today for a small winery in Morgan Hill, pics are for their upcoming website.

Shot with the D300 and Tokina 12-24. Iso 200-1600, most were shot at sunset or night time. Really is a gorgeous setting. Please let me know what you think. All photos shot in raw 14-bit mode.

[​IMG]

367301142_UM5n8-XL.jpg

367301223_mDvqx-X2.jpg

367458267_5ZekY-XL.jpg

367301263_abjRG-XL.jpg

367301169_QcMeQ-XL.jpg

A few more

369541098_nvRLz-XL.jpg

369474157_ZWBwM-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  2. Awesome! That looks like a super cozy place! :smile:

3. Very nice series of photos, Leo. We have a small winery not too far from my house, but it doesn't look like that. You have inspired me, though! Perhaps I might go out and ask if I can shoot some photos on their property.

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    A neat looking place, Leo, and a nice selection of images to project a warm and welcoming atmosphere. However, given their intended use, I think I'd make some corrections for camera tilt. [Might also add a touch of vibrance (at least to the fourth image).]

5. wow....
    Leo...
    you did a great job
    really outstanding work
    i love the highly-saturated first one

the way your eyes are drawn to the golden light in #2.... awesome

and... #5
    very, very nice
    ... though it needs a degree or so of CLOCKWISE ROTATION to set it straight

well done

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Thanks John!

Wineries really are beautiful, especially this time of year with the colors coming back, but the grapes still on. They are taking the grapes off in the next few days, so today was a perfect day!

You're absolutely right, in fact I should have added it and didn't, thanks for taking the time to point that out, it looks kind of drab! :smile:

Which one needs work on the camera tilt? The fire place one?

You're absolutely right greg. I tried to rotate it a bit but it still doesn't look right, i may just have to retake it. Darn!

That one was very tough for me to shoot. I wanted to get it from above, but didnt have a way to get my tripod steady at that height. I'll have to get creative maybe bring a tall table to set the tripod on or something.. hmmm.

7. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I've adjusted the 4th pic down, let me know how that works, if you dont mind.

8. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    The fourth looks better -- maybe a little too much for my taste, but that's just me:smile:.

The fireplace definitely shows camera tilt; the fourth one a little too. When shooting with a wide angle lens, it's best to check the verticals in all shots.

As for the angle on the last one, some folks like to carry a step ladder just for that purpose. [Unless you have access to a bucket truck:biggrin:] If you don't mind heights, I recall some really nice shots that Rui Lopes took from a rooftop.:smile:

9. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    I love # three a lot, what iso where you shooting at?

Jon

10. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    That one was ISO 200.

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I think the fireplace is just the way i was angled towards it and the furniture. No amount of rotating in photoshop can fix it. I think what i need was a taller ladder and a more stable platform for the tripod. It was pitch black at this point. I think i also missed the couch not being aligned symmetrically in the middle. Shoot. I tried to pay attention to that stuff.

By camera tilt do u mean horizon not being straight? I straightened most of them, and see #4 as straight.. :confused: #6 is taken from the rooftop.

12. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    Thanks for the ISO, great stuff, keep it coming!

Jon

13. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Leo,
    You're right, it was the way you were angled towards it. It's not rotation, it's the physics of projecting a 3D scene onto a 2D plane (the sensor) when the sensor is not parallel to the vertical objects in the scene. And yes, that can be corrected easily in most editors, Photoshop included. Take a look at the second page of this thread, with special attention to the posts by Kap (Bandnuts) on the second page.

Oops, my apologies for misunderstanding :redface:-- I thought you were asking for ways to get higher, and didn't realize you were already on a roof.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    I really like the first one but the bokeh/background is very disturbing. I would try to blur the background a little to let it appear smoother and so the grapes would pop-out even more.

15. I work in Morgan Hill, so I'm a bit familiar with those beautiful hills and rolling mountains. This looks like in the backroads close to Hecker Pass or Santa Teresa area. The sunset lighting is a such a gift for landscapes. You captured it very well!

16. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    you're right, a terrific suggestion! I will do that, i was also a bit bothered by the bokeh in the pic.

17. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    added two more, including a different take on the grapes :smile:

18. Nice series, Leo. I especially like the shots of the seating areas, and the fireplace. I would love to visit a place such as that. Thanks for sharing.