1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Smiling Crouch! (2 Versions)

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by shtarka1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

D3, 58,Noct :smile:

2. jshillhouse

jshillhouse

Apr 22, 2009
    Utah
    I like #1 better, because I've never been a fan of grain, however in this case, it does add something to it, and it does work.

3. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Appreciate the comment Jeff!

4. Agree. #1 looks better.

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Thanks Alex! Appreciate the input.

6. Number one for me also. I think the grain would work if it were reversed. Dark instead of white. I really dig the out of focus background. Great shot!

7. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Good point Sam...Thanks!

8. tboz

tboz

Aug 4, 2009
    mass
    The second one reminds me of something out of the 60's or 70's,south Asia.
    I too prefer the first one! That's quite a combo your shooting with!

9. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Thank you!

10. Joshaz

Joshaz

Jan 7, 2009
    Arizona
    What's up man.... Nobody Likes the grain Look... well I like it..... But the first one my Fav also lol Great work Steve.

11. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Appreciate it Josh!

12. the Pond

the Pond

Jan 5, 2007
    Canada
    Number one is cool. I like how you have him looking into the frame instead of vice versa. Very good shot.

13. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Thanks Omar!

14. Hi Steve...
    Although the initial look, the 1st shot does appear to be better, but I keep going back to the 2nd one as it has a feel to it as if it's an old shot from WWII... I do like it....

15. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Agree! I'm liking the grain better now! Thanks Wally!

16. IanT

IanT

May 14, 2008
    London UK
    This is one of those strange things that happens from time to time. Try viewing the images in isolation from each other (scroll so that you can only see one at a time) and they work in different ways - seeing them together somehow alters what I see... I do agree that the first image looks more modern and the second has a vintage feel...

17. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Bingo! Right On The Money Ian! Thanks!

18. Hey Steve..... both work for me in different ways.... when viewed alone each conveys a different meaning......

In essence.... I love both of them and just goes to show what you can do with one image processed in unique ways.......

But.... it's the strength of the original image that makes this work... excellent stuff!

G :cool: :cool: :cool: 

19. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Thanks Graeme....Well said!

20. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hey, Steve,
    There is just something about that graininess in #2 that appeals to me eye. Now, if I were looking for a portrait to put on the coffee table, I might choose #1, but I love the moodiness and darkness of #2. But, truth to tell, they are both very nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.