1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Smoke Trails

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by G2EWS, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Hi All,

I have always admired pictures of smoke trails so on Sunday decided to give it a try:

_RK23522croppedMonosmaller.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TRANQUILITY

Had a great time smelling out the house with incense sticks. Wife wondered what was happening when She came down!

I experimented with making the smoke various colours but preferred it in B & W.

Best regards

Chris

2. waltuba

waltuba

Oct 14, 2005
    Windsor, Co
    Very nice - hope to see more.

3. Wow...that is cool. If it is not rude, may I ask how you did this?

4. Hi Don and Keith,

Many thanks for the comments.

Keith, I had a black background and lit the smoke with an SB800 on the side with a honeycomb to stop light spill. It was set at 1/4 power and on a radio remote.

Had to go manual focus and keep waiting for the smoke to go into the correct 'in focus' area!

I took about 300 pictures and chose a few I liked. The image was turned into a negative then the smoke colour brought out in ps along with a tad of sharpening.

As mentioned I did try turning the smoke into various blues and reds, but much preferred it in B & W.

Taken with D3X.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

5. Thanks a lot Chris. I am going to have to try this sometime! The technique doesnt seem too awful difficult. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

6. Hi Keith,

You are welcome.

It is pretty straightforward.

Best regards

Chris

7. lenshunter

lenshunter

Feb 12, 2010
    illinois
    Very cool shot!!

8. Many thanks,

Chris

9. htan

htan

Nov 13, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    Very nice and different Chris. Almost like an abstract painting/drawing...

10. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Interesting, very interesting. Your smoke brought out some details and swirls very similar to the swirls in my water/ink abstracts. But with your less viscous materials the swirls are more pronounced.
    127076100_UiLRR-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Catching these things in focus is very hard. Perhaps a "box" of glass with a hole in the bottom for the smoke and no top... glass chimney ... would help keep room zephyr disturbances under control.
    more... more.... we want more...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.