Smoke Trails

Hi All,

I have always admired pictures of smoke trails so on Sunday decided to give it a try:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TRANQUILITY

Had a great time smelling out the house with incense sticks. Wife wondered what was happening when She came down!

I experimented with making the smoke various colours but preferred it in B & W.

Best regards

Chris

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Don and Keith,

Many thanks for the comments.

Keith, I had a black background and lit the smoke with an SB800 on the side with a honeycomb to stop light spill. It was set at 1/4 power and on a radio remote.

Had to go manual focus and keep waiting for the smoke to go into the correct 'in focus' area!

I took about 300 pictures and chose a few I liked. The image was turned into a negative then the smoke colour brought out in ps along with a tad of sharpening.

As mentioned I did try turning the smoke into various blues and reds, but much preferred it in B & W.

Taken with D3X.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Don and Keith,

Many thanks for the comments.

Keith, I had a black background and lit the smoke with an SB800 on the side with a honeycomb to stop light spill. It was set at 1/4 power and on a radio remote.

Had to go manual focus and keep waiting for the smoke to go into the correct 'in focus' area!

I took about 300 pictures and chose a few I liked. The image was turned into a negative then the smoke colour brought out in ps along with a tad of sharpening.

As mentioned I did try turning the smoke into various blues and reds, but much preferred it in B & W.

Taken with D3X.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Chris
Thanks a lot Chris. I am going to have to try this sometime! The technique doesnt seem too awful difficult. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Interesting, very interesting. Your smoke brought out some details and swirls very similar to the swirls in my water/ink abstracts. But with your less viscous materials the swirls are more pronounced.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Catching these things in focus is very hard. Perhaps a "box" of glass with a hole in the bottom for the smoke and no top... glass chimney ... would help keep room zephyr disturbances under control.
more... more.... we want more...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom