Smokey Sunrise

As many in the Nor-Cal/ Nevada region know, there are some major wildfires going on near Sacramento, Paradise, Chico, etc (Nor-Cal). Yesterday the smoke started rolling in from these fires and lucky for me I had my camera with me to shoot the sunrise. The sun looks so cool now in the mornings with a red hue. I did my best to capture the rising sun. Enjoy

God Bless,
David

Yesterday: D1x and 200mm ISO400
320019250_MCDB2-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know what you mean i am staying at the base of mt rose... the smoke has been a constant since we got in yesterday... i went out this morning to shoot the Stone mother... well worth the trip should have shots of that up next week...

I know what you mean i am staying at the base of mt rose... the smoke has been a constant since we got in yesterday... i went out this morning to shoot the Stone mother... well worth the trip should have shots of that up next week...

I didn't know you were in town. I would have found a way to see you yesterday evening. My wife and I made it to Reno yesterday to take care of our cell phone bill. Dang:frown: Well enjoy your time and I look forward your shots.

God Bless,
David

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Hello David,

well this shot, hmmm......., I just don't seem to care for it, maybe this is one of those it was better in person with the haze and smoke and red sky? Or it just doesn't strike a chord with me.

I like the composition, and placement of the sun vs the trees, but am bothered by the color in the image, maybe a straight BW might work for me, don't know, but I wanted you to have my thoughts, But regardless, thanks as always for putting the critique icon on your images.

Wade

Hello David,

well this shot, hmmm......., I just don't seem to care for it, maybe this is one of those it was better in person with the haze and smoke and red sky? Or it just doesn't strike a chord with me.

I like the composition, and placement of the sun vs the trees, but am bothered by the color in the image, maybe a straight BW might work for me, don't know, but I wanted you to have my thoughts, But regardless, thanks as always for putting the critique icon on your images.

Wade

Thank you Wade. You are right, it is a shot where it looks better in person than on the camera. I will revisit the b&w again. I wanted to show the redness of the sun which is why I didn't use the b&w originally. The smoke lingered around some more this morning so I took some more shots. I am hoping today's ones look a bit better. Many thanks for you C&C Wade. It is greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
David

Hello David,

Wade

How about a compromise using a tone-based mask to selectively convert the lower value tones to B&W? [leaving the sun and its red glow as is]

Sorry David. After I opened my big mouth, I decided I should try the suggestion -- if anything, it weakened the feeling of the image:redface:.

Thanks for taking the effort. It is appreciated. Send me what you got sometime. I'd love to see your rendition.

maybe this is one of those shots where if you have seen it first hand you get it!

Yeah, you kinda have to see it in person.

God Bless,
David

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I happen to like it very much. You have good detail in the trees and a balance exposure overall. I would be tempted to print this one.
dave

Latest threads

Top Bottom