Smoky Haze/Geyser Steam Mix

One morning, I found an area just south of Norris in Yellowstone National Park where the smoky forest fire haze mixed with the geyser steam at sunrise.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D800, 70-200 VR2

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Nice job, Glenn. I like the simplified colors, almost mono-looking.

I never tire of looking at Yellowstone photos and this is certainly not the "cliche" shot of geyser steam. Not often (thank goodness) that one is there when a forest fire is nearby.

Just curious - did the proximity of the fire and smoke dampen your visit? While this shot took advantage of the juxtaposition of smoke and steam, were there many negatives while you were there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The longer I look, the more impressive it gets! Great picture Glenn.
Thank you, Rob

I never tire of looking at Yellowstone photos and this is certainly not the "cliche" shot of geyser steam. Not often (thank goodness) that one is there when a forest fire is nearby.

Just curious - did the proximity of the fire and smoke dampen your visit? While this shot took advantage of the juxtaposition of smoke and steam, were there many negatives while you were there?
Thanks Rick

The fires were outside the Park, but most of the time there was a white haze present which made it very difficult to capture photographs--particularly during the middle of the day. The sky was basically that ugly, bright white sky.

But, the winds cleared things out one afternoon and the haze played mostly in my favor at sunrise and sunset.

However, things got much worse as my trip continued to the West. I was in Seattle for three days and never once saw Mt Rainier. I spent three days in Olympic National Park...and Hurricane Ridge was a complete wash out with thick white haze. The vast majority of my beach photo shoots weren't very good due to fog that was so thick that I couldn't see the water--and it lasted all day long. Finally, I scrapped my plans to visit Crater Lake as reports indicated that you couldn't see the water.

Glenn

Shame that the fire affected your photography. Definitely a bummer on such a trip. On the other hand, I have a client who was evacuated last week from his multi million dollar home in Sun Valley when the fire there was bearing down directly on his neighborhood. The firefighters there did a remarkable job in beating back the flames and saved the neighborhoos, but it was very dicey there for a few days. Then there is the Yosemite fire threatening the Sequoia stands. I understand that Mother Nature sends fires to renew the land every now and then, but it is truly scary (and awe inspriing) to see what these natural phenomena can do. Reminds a man to be humble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shame that the fire affected your photography. Definitely a bummer on such a trip. On the other hand, I have a client who was evacuated last week from his multi million dollar home in Sun Valley when the fire there was bearing down directly on his neighborhood. The firefighters there did a remarkable job in beating back the flames and saved the neighborhoos, but it was very dicey there for a few days. Then there is the Yosemite fire threatening the Sequoia stands. I understand that Mother Nature sends fires to renew the land every now and then, but it is truly scary (and awe inspriing) to see what these natural phenomena can do. Reminds a man to be humble.
In a way it was a shame. I didn't get many of the pictures that I set out to capture. On the other hand, I kept shooting and ended up getting many photographs that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. In the end, I considered the trip to be a big success. And, it gives me an excuse to go back again soon! :smile:

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom