1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Smoky Mountain Wildflowers

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Milkman, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Wondering how everything is looking? I will probably be down there shortly.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    dogwoods and redbuds blooming, small wildflowers out, bears active. Many more wild flowers yet to come maybe, keeping in mind I am no smokies flower expert. I did shoot some very small ground cover type flowers over the last 2 days.

[​IMG]

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    just a sample

[​IMG]

4. Hi, I went through Cades Cove and Blue Ridge Parkway (Mabry Mill). There are some flowers in the south but it looks a bit early. I am just a Connecticut Yankee but that's what I saw. (bottom 2 in Cades Cove)

446182693_64260cef0e.

View attachment 87798

446182843_fe06fd91dc.

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    The blue flowers are nice.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
  7. As is pink you are a lucky man to live there!

The creeks are greening up!

447560081_e72683bf49_o.
    NIKON D80    ---    56mm    f/25.0    1/2s    ISO 100

8. WildBill

WildBill

Mar 20, 2006
    Hammonton, New Jersey
    Bill

Doug, If this picture is not hanging on your wall now, It should be very soon!!!
    Outstanding shot!

Bill

9. WOW! What beautiful photos! I agree - if that beautiful photo of the creek isn't on your wall, then put it on mine! WOW! outstanding!

10. KeithL

KeithL

Mar 3, 2006
    Southern Ohio
    Great photos!
    I will be down there the week of April 16, and am worried about what the freezing temperatures have done to the wildflowers and trees. Can anyone give me an assessment?

11. I always love Smokies shots and Doug and John have shown some nice ones here - thanks guys!

KeithL - welcome to the Cafe. I've recently moved from Cinci to Chillicothe - I thought Waverly sounded familiar, but I'm still so new to the south-central Ohio area that I had to check Google Maps to confirm you're just south of me. Make yourself at home here and show us some of your shots after your trip.

12. KeithL

KeithL

Mar 3, 2006
    Southern Ohio
  13. Beautiful!!!!

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thank you Sandi. :)  I got a few more, I'm processing now...

but you can sneak a few peaks at my smugmug if you like. I've added entries to several categories, Wildflowers, Old Homes, Other Structures, Breaking water, Waterfalls, many Streams images similar to above, even a few wildlife. I'd say I had a great 4 days riding the Smokies. I saw 6 bears and photographed 1 with nice results. I'm getting very close to 100 Smokies images now!

15. Great collection Keith! A lot of really nice shots - I've heard that the western section of the Foothills Parkway is a good place for dawn shots - and now I see why.

16. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    It was a hard freeze Friday night, and we are expecting another one tonight it seems. That's in the valley, where it's a bit less cold than in the Smokies typically. It was 41 when I left at 7:00 PM Friday night. The only bright spot would be the fact many flowers are under the cover of the trees, and the mountain plants are typically already used tl cold temps.

But these freezes are tough. The short answer is, I just don't know what it's going to do up there.

17. KeithL

KeithL

Mar 3, 2006
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks Doug. I'll just have to find out when I get there. When I went down there last fall, a big wind storm had just blew through the area and knocked down trees everywhere. The fall before that, I got there too early for the peak colors because of the unusually warm weather. Now, this spring, a deep freeze. It sure is hard to schedule a vacation in advance when the weather is so crazy. Oh well, the Smokies are always full of photo opportunities regardless of the weather.

18. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Yeah, the Squall, or you could say an inland mini-hurricane, that was a rip roaring 100 mph wind storm for sure. I was there a couple of days after, and the effects are still all over the park. I can't say that I agree with leaving trees laying every which way in all places. Yes, I guess eventually they become part of the greenscape. But they sure can look ugly for a long time and I really don't like them chopped off even with trails.

I can appreciate the difficulty in planning. I have difficulty planning when to be off as well, but my team lead has been fairly understanding in letting me vary my leave time. I chose this past week because I was already off Friday, and with 16 hours of leave per month, it means I only use 16 hours to take the whole week off. Plus I was hopeful of catching some nice dogwood shots, wildflowers, a plus. But I've still got weekends in the coming weeks, so I'll be up some then! :)  Even afternoons after work as the days get longer sometimes.

Doug

19. I live about 150 miles N of the Smokies in the SW Virginia Highlands, about 25 miles W of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Our spring bloomers were way ahead of schedule, with redbud popping out already this past midweek (nearly a month ahead of normal!).

But a cold front passed through last Wednesday and we've had a severe cold spell since (as has most of the Eastern U.S. I know). We had a couple of inches of snow yesterday with a HIGH temp of about 28F. Low temps have been in the teens the last few nights, so I have no idea what that will do to the flowers. It can't be good!

20. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Bill, I missed your nice complement earlier, thank you much. I suppose stepping over a black snake in the process was worth it then, lol.

Thank you too Dianne! Maybe we can work something out to get it on your wall. ;)  I'd consider it an honor.

Getting out there is half the fun for me, and if I can create something that others enjoy too, all the better. :) 

Jim, gotcha on the weather forcast, cold has been the word! It's about ruined things here around home, including my beautiful pink dogwood. :( 

Thanks again,
    Doug

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.