Smoky Mountian Nat. Park-spring shoot

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by rodneyr, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

I am headed down to the Smokies this weekend into next week for some relaxation and to take a shot at photographing the bears. Any local knowledge or tip are welcome :smile: . Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I will be camping at Cades Cove.

2. Quiet Eye

Quiet Eye

Apr 21, 2006
    North Alabama
    Was there last week

Didn't see any bears anywhere. I had expected to see some boars and possibly sows with last years cubs. Sows with this seasons cubs probably won't be out for another month.

Cades Cove: Plenty of deer, only about half the bucks had lost their racks. The bucks with their racks were mostly 6 pts or less. all the deer lost a lot of weight in the last 2 months. Plenty of turkeys, some gobblers struting. A few Canadian geese. Plenty of blue birds. A few pileated woodpeckers. Signs of beaver activity along Abrams Creek by wooden bridge. A pair of otters in Abrams Creek between wooden bridge and trail head to falls.

Most variety can generally be seen in the horse pasture on the left after you go through the gate to start the loop road.

If the dogwoods are in bloom go up the road past Tremont.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    roosevelt, I plan to be at the Cove this weekend I hope. Maybe even Friday this week and next. I'd like to hit the Dogwoods in bloom.

Bears, difficult to photograph, as they are people shy for the most part. A close encounter, you should be worried about survival, not photography.

Please keep in mind, the bears will be hungry, after little food for the winter while sleeping. Next, Mothers get very protective of their cubs, so beware that situation. Never get between a Mother and her cubs.

Anyway, best of luck with your adventure. If all else fails, snap them at the Knoxville Zoo. I'll post a few.

[​IMG]

Doug

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  4. rodneyr

rodneyr Guest

Thanks Pete and Doug. I am looking forward to this one, I havent been able to devote much time to shooting the last month and a half, and this will be my first chance to try out the f2.8 120-300 on large mamals :). Pete, thats a nice portrait there.

Feel free to say hi if you see me out and about or at the campground. Im in a 91 red and tan F150 and a '68 24ft airstream both shown below.

original.

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Cool airstream! Nice shape too looks like.

I'm a little more conspicuous if I am in my car. 03 BMW M3, carbon black (and dirt)

Thanks on the bear, I got a couple more good shots at the Knoxville Zoo.

Doug (not pete) lol.