Smugmug now supports geotagging pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmpalmer, Aug 18, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    From the O'Reilly Radar blog:

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/08/smugmug_maps_go.html

I haven't tried it yet. I've done it with Flickr, but most of my pictures are on Smugmug (and I'm paying for that one), so I'm interested to see how well it works. Unfortunately, I'm too busy with work to play, but I thought I'd let everyone know.

2. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    OK, I couldn't resist trying it out just a bit (sorry Frank (Flew's my boss, BTW)).

So far, it is excellent. It uses the Google Maps API to help you find where you took the picture (type an address nearby, then zoom around in the hybrid Google Maps mode and click where the picture was taken, then click "Submit"). That's it -- it's geocoded and you can look at your galleries on Google Maps or download them as a Google Earth file. I expect they'll be a live Google Earth feed like Flickr has real soon now.

One neat feature is that it will look at the date and time of the shot via its EXIF data then do an animated timeline/trip recap -- panning the map and highlighting each photo and its caption in the order in which they were taken -- very neat.

Oh well, back to work...

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ahem.... :twisted:

4. Ah, c'mon now, Frank. This is vitally important stuff here! ;)

5. Yikes CM you can't win. It's good Frank is such a nice guy.

6. Thanks for the alert on this item, I would have missed it without your post.

It looks really neat, especially for travel nuts like Nan & I.

I geocoded just one photo from each of my Smugmug albums using my handy-dandy world atlas to get to +/- 1 degree or so. Good enough to see what it looks like.

Anyhow, if you want to see what you get with this, go to my Smugmug site:
    http://bob-nan.smugmug.com/
    and click on the "Map This" icon near the top of the page.

Bob & Nan

7. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Cool feature! I have yet to sign up for smugmug, and one of my reasons was holding out for some sort of tagging like this. Looks like I will register soon.

Just one question: most of my albums now are organized by location. Is it possible to auto assign or easily assign a duplicate location to multiple photos?

8. Hi Mike,

I do not see any feature on Smugmug that would allow geocoding more than one photo at a time. They just implemented the geocoding last week so I suspect some of the bells and whistles will be on the next update.

I know that the D2 series cameras allow you to connect a GPS receiver to the camera and collect the data into the EXIF.
    I was looking at the iView cataloging software that I use to see if it would allow me to do modify the d-70 and D-100 EXIF with the Lat. and Long. before I upload the photos to Smugmug. No sign of it, but I'll have to spend some time in the manual.

Bob