Smugmug power vs portfolio

For several years I have had a Smugmug portfolio account with automatic renewal. I guess I started it when I thought I could sell my nature images and also when I wanted watermarks. I t is renewal time and I just looked to see about other plans. I was shocked to see I could get a power account for much less ($72 vs $180.) I should have been on top of things.

I won't be able to set price and sell. I won't be able to add watermarks. Can anyone think of a reason for me to stay on portfolio - no wiseguy answers please. ;)

I've had their lowest-priced account since I started with them in 2005 and never found any desire for a higher level. But I never expected to sell nor watermark anything. The one advantage of the next higher level account would be you get your own domain name without the Smugmug.com at the end.

Real Name
Randy
I sell my sports pics thru another website now but I won't give up watermarks, especially for a few bucks

[edit] I shoulda said I won't give up download protection even though I know you can get past it

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I've always had the Power account. I put my own watermarks on the images before uploading...... and never wanted to try to sell enough images to make it worthwhile. I'm extremely happy with SM!

Real Name
David
Until the end of 2018 I had a Pro account and then switched to a Portfolio account. The one feature I needed from the Pro plan was "Let customers choose favorite images", I needed that for albums.

I've kept the Portfolio for a few reasons, but I am considering going down to the Power account:
  • Live Chat help
  • Custom Watermarks*
  • Lab selection**
  • Custom pricing / profit
  • E-Commerce features
  • Global orders***
* I use SM as "one of" my backups for finished client images, so adding a watermark before uploading is not an option for me.
** I used Bay Photo for my albums and wanted print ordered by clients to be printed by the same lab.
*** I've actually had orders from family members internationally on occasion.

If I go down to a Power account the two things I will miss are live chat help and watermark. I have to rework my site so I won't give up live help until I get that done at the very least. But I do have to think about the watermark.

Real Name
David
Are there good websites which one can add to a smugmug power account to easily add sale ability?
No idea, I shot events so I was only selling to friends and family of those that booked me. In fact, since I mainly shot Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, I was more concerned with limiting those that have access to the images.

I'm currently doing a trail. I all but gave up on Zenfolio.
The trail is for Pro but I'll most probably go for the base plan.

@Allan - if you don't mind:
Why didn't you go down to level 1 instead of 2?
What do you find you'd miss out in level 1 that you have in 2?

Real Name
David

Not sure about Allan, but with basic the customization is limited and you can't use a custom URL. Those two options would rule the basic level 1 plan out for me.

I like my custom url - allanrube.com
I like right-click protection.
My site is customized - not sure the basic plan would keep the look I have ???

Thank you, David and Allan.

I just accessed the subscription on my trail account and I notice they advise the power plan.
Most likely based on what I have been trying out. Disabling Selling overall, and some customizations. Probably outside of what is available in the base plan.
The custom URL doesn't carry much importance: I don't seem to be able to change the one they suggested into anything meaningful anyway.
The price difference between the two plans is not that enormous, 34,25 EUR/Year.
However, my Zenfolio account cost me 36,96 EUR/Year. So, that's a difference of 9,33 EUR/Year against the base plan and 43,57 EUR/Year against the power plan.
(Sorry for thinking in EUR :) The relative differences remain the same of course)
This makes the power plan more than double the yearly cost of Zenfolio where I do have a "custom url" bart.zenfolio.com and no need for customisation beyond what is included.
However, SmugMug works and the performance on Zenfolio is abominable now. To the point of being useless.

On the other hand, there's a note on the Zenfolio status page that is somewhat hopeful:

Investigating - We are aware of loading delays with images in older galleries. Our Engineers made changes to core infrastructure delivery methods for long-term improvements to storage and delivery of these images; however, it is resulting in older images having to regenerate the display version available on your site. Our teams are looking into opportunities to improve and lessen these delays. As more information is available, we will provide updates here. Thank you for your continued patience while we work to improve our platform.
Somewhat because I've seen messages like this before.
Perhaps I should just wait a bit.

Not sure about Allan, but with basic the customization is limited and you can't use a custom URL. Those two options would rule the basic level 1 plan out for me.
I like my custom url - allanrube.com
I like right-click protection.
My site is customized - not sure the basic plan would keep the look I have ???

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thank you, David and Allan.

I just accessed the subscription on my trail account and I notice they advise the power plan.
Most likely based on what I have been trying out. Disabling Selling overall, and some customizations. Probably outside of what is available in the base plan.
The custom URL doesn't carry much importance: I don't seem to be able to change the one they suggested into anything meaningful anyway.
The price difference between the two plans is not that enormous, 34,25 EUR/Year.
However, my Zenfolio account cost me 36,96 EUR/Year. So, that's a difference of 9,33 EUR/Year against the base plan and 43,57 EUR/Year against the power plan.
(Sorry for thinking in EUR :) The relative differences remain the same of course)
This makes the power plan more than double the yearly cost of Zenfolio where I do have a "custom url" bart.zenfolio.com and no need for customisation beyond what is included.
However, SmugMug works and the performance on Zenfolio is abominable now. To the point of being useless.

On the other hand, there's a note on the Zenfolio status page that is somewhat hopeful:

Somewhat because I've seen messages like this before.
Perhaps I should just wait a bit.
If you already have a custom URL, you can use that on SM Power plan - at least I did. And you can make extensive customizations quite easily on SM , get consistently reliable performance and outstanding support very quickly. However, moving to a new host would require work....and slightly less than 4Euro a year! Use my email: PleasantShooter@gmail.com and get a discount on SM for the first year LOL!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom