Smugmug Question -- Up and Running

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbuttrick, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Hello All,

I am considering switching from Pbase to Smugmug. To all you Smugmug users, what type of account do you have, regular, power user or pro? What's this about a $5.00 discount I just saw on another post. If you have used Pbase in the past, do you like Smugmug better?

Any comments would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,
    I sent you a PM...

Gaye

3. Each of the hosting sites have their good points and bad points. Personally I like Pbase and have had over a quarter million hits on my website. Not bad since I just started with digital photography a year and a half ago. I suspect that those using Smugmug feel much the same way.

4. I am a smugmug user, with a regular account: I exceeded the download limit only once in about 1 year and 1/2, and they didn't charge me extra for it. I find the smugmug interface easier, it's also easier to link to an external site like here (no variable URLs and red Xs) and the reliability of the service is better, in my opinion. But as Gordon said, it's really a matter of personal preference.

The $5 discount is a promotion done by smugmug to get subscribers to sign up more people: the new member gets a $5 discount off the $30/yr (the first year) and the subscriber gets a $10 discount off his/her own subscription. You can use my email address (in the profile) as a discount key. :smile:

5. Thanks Gaye, Gordon and Philippe. I'm switching because of many of the reasons you stated Philippe. I am working on setting up my site as we speak and thanks for the offer Philippe. Gaye sent me a PM a little while ago with her email address. Thanks again Gaye. So far I do like the Smugmug interface better and really like the Aqua uploading tool for Macs.

Thanks again all and I'll post the new site address when I get some more photos loaded up.

6. Well the site is up, but is a work in progress. I do like the Smugmug interface....seems easier than Pbase, at least to me. Let me know what you think and any comments would be helpful.

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice new gallery setup, Scott! I've still got about 4 months left on my Pbase account, so I'm not even thinking about changing until that time is up. Then I'll go through the same sort of questions you did - do I stay or move. I guess it depends a lot on performance over the next few months.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,

when you're ready let us know your site address so we can take a look.

I started with the least expensive option and then upgraded because I couln't put in my own titles...had to use theirs and just couldn't make them work...

We have a large family spread all over the world so I use my gallery to share pictures with them. Our son in Iraq can actually go to the gallery and see all our pictures. The internet is amazing!

Have fun!

Gaye

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,
    Thanks and you've certainly done lots of work today on your site. Your site will need some Sleeping Bear Dune pictures next summer for sure :smile:

Gaye