Smugmug settings

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Steved53, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Hi,

This may not be exactly on topic, but I am hoping that some of the people who frequent this area might be able to help me.

I have just signed up for Smugmug and uploaded two photos. The originals are of similar quality. The first photo ended up as 400kb after resizing and looks o.k. with minor artifacts. The second one has ended up with unpleasant artifacts, even after increasing the jpeg quality and increasing the size to something like 1.6meg.

Does anyone know the ideal workflow to arrive at a quality image on Smugmug when starting out with a Nef?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Regards,

Steve D.

2. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Smugmug workflow

Hi Steve,

I use Smugmug and I've never had an image quality issue so either my workflow is good or my eyesight is bad!

Anyway, here's what I do:

Process NEF's in Capture One - output as 6x4 @300dpi (print ready) JPEG which seems to average out at just over 1Mb.

These are uploaded to my smugmug gallery where they're automatically re-sized by smugmug.

That gives me the usual S/M/L sizes plus the original for back-ups and printing.

Please feel free to check out my galleries to see what you think.

Cheers!

3. Hi Jez,

Thanks for the reply.

I remember having the same problem before on pBase, so I am sure it is me.

Does it need to be sharpened any more than normal? You export it to Smugmug as a jpeg. Will Smugmug recognise nefs?

Thanks for your help.

4. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I don't sharpen very much - there's actually a setting in Capture One called Soft Sharpening (sounds like a contradiction, eh?!!) that I use all the time as I really like the results. I had a file printed on a Kodak 1400 and it look superb.

Anyway, that's all I do before I upload.

Smugmug supports GIF and JPEG files mainly, but they do let you load PSD, BMP. TIFF and WMF, although everything gets converted to JPEG for display.

If you send me a NEF I'll run it through Capture One to see what I get if you like.