Snail trees !!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Panos Kazanelis, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh Panos, snails don't grow on trees, do they?? :roll:

This has to be a trick.... :lol:

Can you give us a little detail here?

Frank

2. Interesting shots for sure Panos but why are the snails in the branches. Never seen this before.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those snails are a royal pain in the can in the garden.

They will kill your garden. Had to use snail bait in mine.

Good shots Panos.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - that is an excellent find! the snails have climbed the shrubs, probably to escape flooding. Every time I irrigate snails climb up onto my porch, and I've seen them on tree trunks as well. The look of these shots is really wonderful. Thanks!

5. Frank, Gordon, it's exactly what Chris said... they are trying to escape the rising of the water on the sides of the lagoon, especially when it rains, so they climb up there, but then the sun comes out and they get "cooked". 8)
    So, these are dead snails and they are millions of them... :shock:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, as Chris said, excellent catch. Certainly not your run-of-the-mill shot.

Where is Limassol Lagoon?

Regards,

Frank

7. Well, Limassol lagoon is at Cyprus. It is 5 miles form the town of Limassol.

Now Cyprus is the south-easterest border of European Union since May 1st 2004 the day that Cyprus enter the EUzone. It's a small island (9,250 sq km) close to Middle East, the main language is Greek, and it is populated by Greek/Cypriots (nationality Greeks). In 1974, Turkey invated Cyprus and since then occupies some 28% of the island. That has created some horrifying political disputes but the worst thing is the ENORMOUS deifference between the two economies.

Cyprus itself has the second best economy in the world with GDP: $44000+ USD and a GDP Growth Rate: 4.60% with Population in Poverty: 0.00%
    Cypriot pound is the "most expensive currency" in the world for the last decades (1 CYP=2.2 USD)
    [Currency Exchange Rate History: Cypriot pounds per US dollar - 0.44076 (2005), 0.50009 (2004), 0.57138 (2003), 0.6518 (January 2002), 0.6427 (2001), 0.6208 (2000), 0.5423 (1999), 0.5170 (1998), 0.5135 (1997)] ...!!!

As for the weather... summer starts April and ends late November...

Well, that's a general view...

8. Panos,

Nice and well composed pictures. Thanks for capturing and sharing an interesting behavior. Good free from paying and cooking meal. Wonderbar :D :D .

9. WHOA!! Never seen that before!! Cool shots Panos!! :D :D :D

10. Funny shrubs you have in Cyprus :lol: but excellently captured.
    I have to consult our botanists to find out whether this species is endemic or wide spread :D
    Fine to be back in the forum after shaking off all the work that had accummulated lately.
    Cheers