Snake River flooding

Seems like mother nature is unleashing her fury nearly everywhere this year. Although problems here are minor compared to many places.

We have had record snowfalls in our area with a really cold spring. Now all that snow in the Tetons and parts of Yellowstone is melting fast. The water people prepared the best they could by emptying out reservoirs earlier this spring, but the runoff is still producing flooding. In Idaho Falls the river runs through a lava area with manmade falls that normally looks like this.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last night Greg and I decided to go and walk around the greenbelt area in our town to see the high water. South of our town there is quite a bit of flooding in some of the low lying areas but here in town the flooding is very minor.

These were taken with my s90 point and shoot. (Didn't have my D300 with me when we decided to go on the walk).

View attachment 917931

View attachment 917932

View attachment 917933

View attachment 917934

View attachment 917935

View attachment 917936

Tom,
It is mostly causing problems for farmers as far as I have heard. They are expecting the worst of the runoff to still occur as the weather gets hotter so it remains to be seen.

Wow.....

They were letting water out of Jackson in Grand Teton when we were there a few summers back... all the downstream reservoirs on the Snake were already empty.....

Those are very nice pics. Too bad they weren't of something more positive. I hope the flooding doesn't get any worse there.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom