Snake River Sunset

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, May 12, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Greg and I finally had a few minutes to get out and enjoy nature last night. We drove to a nature hike, not too far from home and watched the sunset from this scenic view. I blended two exposures for this. I would love honest feedback. Seems I am a bit rusty.

original.

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Hi Terri,

First off my specialty is birds so keep that in mind. I think this looks great! It's a wonderful view, you added foreground interest and the exposure looks very good on my monitor. I also like the diagonal composition of the river running through the frame. I think you spent those few minutes perfectly!

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hello Terri,

I have to say once again, lucky lady for having such nice grandkids and this awesome spot!

I would maybe try to darken the sky on one of the blended shots, to try and tone down the sky even more and allow some darker areas of the sky, but knowing you and yo0ur great skills, you have probably done that as much as possible already! And to my eye the foreground seems a bit to well lit and unatural, maybe just a tiny tiny bit darker on the rock sides that are away from the light, they should be a bit more in the shadows because the light is straight behind them.

remember just my thoughts, and my thoughts are probably rusty too, haven't shot any landscapes in a while. I am in indoor mode right now.

cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2007
  4. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    Nice shot Terri.

Did you by any chance grab a few more as the sun was further down?

What method of blending did you use, if I may ask?

5. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Terri, a nice shot as always. I do agree with Wade, however, that the foreground is a bit too light. Mike

6. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Terri,

I'm not good enough yet to give you any feedback. Just a fantastic photo. Well done.

7. WayneN

WayneN

Mar 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    My honest feedback is... beautiful! Lovely image Terri - you must have enjoyed that sunset very much!

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I think its perfect !!!!!!

Congrats Terri

Regards

RFC

9. I love the composition of the river running up into the sunset. The foreground is a bit lighter than the scene would suggest it should be but I happen to love pictures like this! The human eye would adjust for the different areas of brightness the same way your image portrays it so WELL DONE! :)

10. bobarue

bobarue

Aug 9, 2005
    Louisiana
    Cool shot Terri.

11. krispee

krispee

Apr 10, 2007
    UK
    i think this is lovely too, ok, in reality the foreground would be darker but i think it makes a better picture as it is....

kris

12. Wow Terri, what a spot! I can just imagine being up there and just enjoying the landscape. Beautiful image also - perfect time of day.

13. Wow, you are truly talented!!:smile: You can do people and landscapes. Great job!! I am glad to see you enjoying nature!! What a beautiful spot.:Angel:

Sarah

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Andy. It's a pretty place to visit, but I never know how it comes across to someone who hasn't seen the place in person.

Wade,
    Great suggestions. I've been too busy the past few days to revisit this photo. But I will give it another go.

Murray,
    I did get a few more, but they lost their punch when the sun went behind the heavier clouds. I've been busy the past few days, but will try to work on the photos again.

For this one I used a layer mask with a graduated blend.

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to work on the photo again, if I ever get the time.

Scott,
    Glad you liked it. Hope you are getting out in that beautiful Utah scenery!

Hi Wayne! I did enjoy spending a little time outdoors in a pretty place, with Greg. Doesn't get much better than that!

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Vern,
    Nice to have another viewpoint on the foreground. Goes to show there isn't a right or wrong way to do things. So much is a matter of personal preference. I'm going to try to darken up the foreground a bit and compare the two.

Hi Robert. Glad you like it. I haven't been out nearly enough this year. But I am getting lots of practice with the baby photos, so the camera certainly hasn't been idle!

Thanks Bob.

Kris,
    Thanks for your feedback on the foreground. I appreciate all the different viewpoints.

17. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Fritz,
    Since you live where the winters are harsh, too, you know how happy I am to finally get out and enjoy nature. I don't like the cold much, so spring is always so welcome.

Hi Sarah,
    I enjoyed doing landscapes first. I'm just starting to feel more confident with the people shots. Rocks and rivers don't care how they look in a photo!:biggrin:

18. Terri,

My vision path goes from the rocks to the river right to the sunset. And second take sunset, to river to the rocks. Great shot in my book.

Print it and hang it.

You got a great eye!