Snake River Sunset

Greg and I finally had a few minutes to get out and enjoy nature last night. We drove to a nature hike, not too far from home and watched the sunset from this scenic view. I blended two exposures for this. I would love honest feedback. Seems I am a bit rusty.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Terri,

First off my specialty is birds so keep that in mind. I think this looks great! It's a wonderful view, you added foreground interest and the exposure looks very good on my monitor. I also like the diagonal composition of the river running through the frame. I think you spent those few minutes perfectly!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Hello Terri,

I have to say once again, lucky lady for having such nice grandkids and this awesome spot!

I would maybe try to darken the sky on one of the blended shots, to try and tone down the sky even more and allow some darker areas of the sky, but knowing you and yo0ur great skills, you have probably done that as much as possible already! And to my eye the foreground seems a bit to well lit and unatural, maybe just a tiny tiny bit darker on the rock sides that are away from the light, they should be a bit more in the shadows because the light is straight behind them.

remember just my thoughts, and my thoughts are probably rusty too, haven't shot any landscapes in a while. I am in indoor mode right now.

cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg and I finally had a few minutes to get out and enjoy nature last night. We drove to a nature hike, not too far from home and watched the sunset from this scenic view. I blended two exposures for this. I would love honest feedback. Seems I am a bit rusty.

Nice shot Terri.

Did you by any chance grab a few more as the sun was further down?

What method of blending did you use, if I may ask?

My honest feedback is... beautiful! Lovely image Terri - you must have enjoyed that sunset very much!

I love the composition of the river running up into the sunset. The foreground is a bit lighter than the scene would suggest it should be but I happen to love pictures like this! The human eye would adjust for the different areas of brightness the same way your image portrays it so WELL DONE! :)

i think this is lovely too, ok, in reality the foreground would be darker but i think it makes a better picture as it is....

kris

Wow, you are truly talented!!:smile: You can do people and landscapes. Great job!! I am glad to see you enjoying nature!! What a beautiful spot.:Angel:

Sarah

Hi Terri,

First off my specialty is birds so keep that in mind. I think this looks great! It's a wonderful view, you added foreground interest and the exposure looks very good on my monitor. I also like the diagonal composition of the river running through the frame. I think you spent those few minutes perfectly!
Thank you Andy. It's a pretty place to visit, but I never know how it comes across to someone who hasn't seen the place in person.

Hello Terri,

I have to say once again, lucky lady for having such nice grandkids and this awesome spot!

I would maybe try to darken the sky on one of the blended shots, to try and tone down the sky even more and allow some darker areas of the sky, but knowing you and yo0ur great skills, you have probably done that as much as possible already! And to my eye the foreground seems a bit to well lit and unatural, maybe just a tiny tiny bit darker on the rock sides that are away from the light, they should be a bit more in the shadows because the light is straight behind them.

remember just my thoughts, and my thoughts are probably rusty too, haven't shot any landscapes in a while. I am in indoor mode right now.

cheers,

Wade
Wade,
Great suggestions. I've been too busy the past few days to revisit this photo. But I will give it another go.

Nice shot Terri.

Did you by any chance grab a few more as the sun was further down?

What method of blending did you use, if I may ask?
Murray,
I did get a few more, but they lost their punch when the sun went behind the heavier clouds. I've been busy the past few days, but will try to work on the photos again.

For this one I used a layer mask with a graduated blend.

Terri, a nice shot as always. I do agree with Wade, however, that the foreground is a bit too light. Mike
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to work on the photo again, if I ever get the time.

Terri,

I'm not good enough yet to give you any feedback. Just a fantastic photo. Well done.
Scott,
Glad you liked it. Hope you are getting out in that beautiful Utah scenery!

My honest feedback is... beautiful! Lovely image Terri - you must have enjoyed that sunset very much!
Hi Wayne! I did enjoy spending a little time outdoors in a pretty place, with Greg. Doesn't get much better than that!

I love the composition of the river running up into the sunset. The foreground is a bit lighter than the scene would suggest it should be but I happen to love pictures like this! The human eye would adjust for the different areas of brightness the same way your image portrays it so WELL DONE! :)
Vern,
Nice to have another viewpoint on the foreground. Goes to show there isn't a right or wrong way to do things. So much is a matter of personal preference. I'm going to try to darken up the foreground a bit and compare the two.

I think its perfect !!!!!!

Congrats Terri

Regards

RFC
Hi Robert. Glad you like it. I haven't been out nearly enough this year. But I am getting lots of practice with the baby photos, so the camera certainly hasn't been idle!

Cool shot Terri.
Thanks Bob.

i think this is lovely too, ok, in reality the foreground would be darker but i think it makes a better picture as it is....

kris
Kris,
Thanks for your feedback on the foreground. I appreciate all the different viewpoints.

Wow Terri, what a spot! I can just imagine being up there and just enjoying the landscape. Beautiful image also - perfect time of day.
Fritz,
Since you live where the winters are harsh, too, you know how happy I am to finally get out and enjoy nature. I don't like the cold much, so spring is always so welcome.

Wow, you are truly talented!!:smile: You can do people and landscapes. Great job!! I am glad to see you enjoying nature!! What a beautiful spot.:Angel:

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
I enjoyed doing landscapes first. I'm just starting to feel more confident with the people shots. Rocks and rivers don't care how they look in a photo!:biggrin:

Terri,

My vision path goes from the rocks to the river right to the sunset. And second take sunset, to river to the rocks. Great shot in my book.

Print it and hang it.

You got a great eye!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom