Snake River

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, May 15, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    The Snake River runs through my town. There is some spectacular scenery along this beautiful river. I have my favorite spots for taking pictures. Here are three I took yesterday.

View attachment 8901
    View attachment 8902

As always, I love constructive criticism. These are some of my first landscape attempts with a DSLR. I used my D70 and the 18-70mm lens with a circular polarizer.

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Terri,

I like the exposure of the pictures, especially the details in the clouds. Pic 1 and 3 are shot from the same spot, as I see, but they have different color tones. The first picture looks like having some extra magenta. Did you post-process them?

Nice place you are living in!

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Heiko

I did post process these. Both were shot in Raw. I recently bought a hoya polarizer, and I am having some problems with a color cast in my pictures. I probably didn't get them adjusted exactly the same. I think I will be getting a different polarizer soon!!!

Thanks for looking and commenting. By the way. Both of these were done with a layer mask to increase the dynamic range. If you are interested, I commented more on this in my thread about the teton pass.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Heiko

I did post process these. Both were shot in Raw. I recently bought a hoya polarizer, and I am having some problems with a color cast in my pictures. I probably didn't get them adjusted exactly the same. I think I will be getting a different polarizer soon!!!

Thanks for looking and commenting. By the way. Both of these were done with a layer mask to increase the dynamic range. If you are interested, I commented more on this in my thread about the teton pass.

5. Terri,
    These are very nice! It is great to have a back yard like that.
    I can not imagine that the filter can give different casts of color, so I am not sure I would look there. I do very much like the slim circular polarizer I got from Nikon. I more suspect a slight hue/saturation difference in post work.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Terri,

Thanks for your answer. Regarding the color difference, I agree with Dave that it's probably not the polarizer.

Could it be that you used "automatic white balance" on your camera or later during processing (in Nikon Capture, for example)? Otherwise it seems a post-processing issue as Dave mentioned.

Sorry for bothering you with questions - it's out of curiosity in order to learn from it. I never use auto white balance and generally set the balance to direct sunshine (5200K) and change the w/b later in Nikon Capture to the setting I want. So I don't have any experience with auto white balance.

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    hey Terri, great area and shots. I wonder if the shot of the waterfall from a different angle would add anything? I like the scene balance on the first one. The last one has a tree on the left that bothers me. probably why I prefer the first one.

Love the colors on these. Especially the first.

I've never tried a circular polarizer but looks like I make have to try.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Please ignore

(Is there a way to delete a post. For some reason I submitted my reply to Greg twice.)

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Greg

Thanks for you good observations and suggestions for these pictures. I wish I could take the waterfall from a different angle. The only other place there is access to see it is from a boat on the river. The place where I stood was on a road which is on the side of a steep mountain. Not many people see these falls at all because of the very inconvenient location. My dad has a jet boat that he uses for fishing on the Snake River. I may have to see if he will take me for a ride up to the falls. I agree about the tree on the second canyon shot. Like the waterfall picture, there is an observation point on the side of a steep mountain where you can see this view. There are these darn trees all along the edge!!!! Nature just doesn't cooperate sometimes :lol:

Thanks for looking and commenting.

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Re: Hi Heiko

Very nice shots. Please post more.

I went through this recently and bought a 77mm thin B+W circular polarizer. Not multi coated though. I paid $85 for brand new, from this guy.

http://stores.ebay.com/Schneider-Store_B-W-Schneider_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

This guy is from asia, the transaction was smooth and I got an original B+W filter.

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho

Did your hoya filter give you a color cast on your pictures? Is there an improvement with the B&W?

Thanks for the info

12. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA

I went through two circular polarizer filters, a tiffen 67mm, a hoya 67mm and now the B+W 77mm.

The tiffen gave a blue cast, I replaced it. Later I read that it could have been because of WB issues [I was very new to D70 then]

The hoya pushes the colors hard, harder than the B+W. The B+W seems neutral to my eyes.

This is with the B+W 77mm filter on a 20mm lens.

[​IMG]

This is with the B+W on the kit lens.

[​IMG]

This is the hoya 67mm with the kit lens.

[​IMG]

Not sure if I conveyed my point through this photos, but the hoya seemed to push the colors very hard, harder than B+W.

This might be the symptom you notice. The color cast could be because of both the filter and incorrect WB. Try to eliminate the WB aspect and you will be sure. May be you should do some WB bracketing and / or RAW corrections and check the differences.

Lastly, if are considering an upgrade, just go for the B+W thin 77mm, get the multi coated if you can afford it.

Sooner or later, you will get some 77mm lenses (if you don't have any already).

To me, B+W seems to be more accurate and color neutral and from this ebay guy, the price is also sweet (not too higher than hoya).