Snake Skin and Flowers, Yep, an Odd mix for sure.

:biggrin: Snake Skin and Flowers, Yep, an Odd mix for sure.

Snake skin. Somewhere there is a beautiful shiny new looking rat snake ,I think, they are very pretty after shedding the old skin.
I usually find several skins each year, but this is the first this year and the first I have photographed,
The skin is translucent, so I have used shadows and highlights to bring out the detail. You can see the wear to the scales due to locomotion.
These are side body scales, and are designed to aid in movement. We find these snakes 80 and 90 feet up trees here.

All pics taken with 60 mm 2.8

Full frame, with full set of tubes
large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

crop
large.jpg

Full Frame 36 mm of tube
large.jpg

Large Crop
large.jpg

Belly scales.
large.jpg

I do not know the name of this flower.
large.jpg

Full Frame w/36 mm of tubes
large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cone flowers.... yellow, unless you are being tricky with selective color!!!

But wow, Tom those snake skins shots are really awesome! I love the repetitive designs in nature.... great shots...

No I did nothing to the color, they were just interesting to me, but they had seen better days. I would like to find some fresh ones. thanks for the ID.

Nature is so fascinating!!
I could have done better with the snake, but a rain and storm was bearing down on me, so grabbed what i could before the skin was ruined:frown:

Vienna, Virginia (Washington DC Suburbs), USA
No I did nothing to the color, they were just interesting to me, but they had seen better days. I would like to find some fresh ones. thanks for the ID.

Nature is so fascinating!!
I could have done better with the snake, but a rain and storm was bearing down on me, so grabbed what i could before the skin was ruined:frown:

http://www.waltersgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1297

Most likely Sunrise variety of Coneflower.... Your snakeskins were great...

Thanks Holmes and Spectre for looking, I really like up close pics of nature, at least this one was not moving:smile:

One day while city friends were visiting our very rural home,. We were gathered on the front porch, when I noticed a 5 foot rat snake about 40' up a tree. The company was totally in awe and fascinated by this unusual, sight. they watched as he disappeared up the tree, and then came back down, unsuccessful in his baby bird/squirrel hunt.

http://www.waltersgardens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1297

Most likely Sunrise variety of Coneflower.... Your snakeskins were great...

This is what is so cool about the Café, some one knows a bit about everything, or where to find it. I followed your link for the flowers, and found that the cone flower was "birthed" in Atlanta Georgia, at Itsaul Nurseries. I took the pic while at at a medical center in Atlanta

Latest threads

Top Bottom