1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Snake

Discussion in 'Birds' started by rooster32, Apr 11, 2007.

1. rooster32

rooster32

Nov 8, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Came across this critter while turkey hunting in TX.

TXRattlesnake07small.
    NIKON D80    ---    190mm    f/4.0    1/320s    ISO 100

2. Yep, A rattler alright, don't care for them myself but nice picture

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Back away quickly Rooster. :eek: 

Excellent catch. Welcome to the Cafe!! :smile:

4. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Nice shot! I love snakes.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    Nice Western Diamondback buzz worm if I have my ID right. Pick em up and put it in your camera bag and leave the truck unlocked and make the world a better place. Look at those high keeled scales, that critter would feel like a hairbrush if you grabed him. Its hard to judge size, how long was he? Looks to be well fed. Cool post, keep em comming!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  6. Welcome to the best forum in town! Well, as for the snake, nice photo, but uh, I hate snakes!

7. This gets me going. But I am in the market for a nice Iguana. Was out hunting for one with my granddaughter at Petco.

8. rooster32

rooster32

Nov 8, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Thanks! It was over 5ft long.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If I would have come across this guy while turkey hunting, the only turkey that I would have come home with would have been labeled "Butterball". Frankie does not tolerate snakes....you are a much braver person than I.

10. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Respect Rooster32, great photo. The most dangerous things encountered in the UK are bushes with sharp thorns.

Best regards and take care where you step

Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  11. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :biggrin: you never shot adders then?..lol

12. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Nah. They slither away and hide a thorn bush stands it's ground.
    I've never seen one in the wild and I've done lots of walking in adder habitat. Just been unlucky I guess.
    Best regards
    Andy

13. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Love crotulus sp., nice DB.

Only one that really makes me nervous is the Mojave. Have only seen two, and both got up on the wrong side of the bed. Before I got into photography, I have a friend with whom I spend time with each year moving snakes out of the way of the building freenze in So. Cal. The Red Diamond is the most mellow venomous snake I've ever seen, the large ones actually seem friendly:) 

Here in Oregon we have Northwestern and Great Basin - treat them all with respect and watch from a distance - very cool.

Nice image.

14. rooster32

rooster32

Nov 8, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    I seem to attrack snakes. While hunting in MT a few years ago, I go struck at by a rattler while walking a fence line hunting Hungarian Partriadge. It was a little guy compared to this DB, but still caused a bit of commotion. Unfortunately that snake didn't fair as well, since the dogs got on to it, so we had to dispatch the snake for their safety.

Thanks for the comments...hope to post more photo's in the future!

15. Man I hate snakes...luckilly I don't have the "chance" to see them up here. If I came accross anything like the one you showed, the only thing you would hear is the sound of my heels kicking me in the butt as I would be running away like hell!!!

16. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    I love snakes..and especially rattlers!
    albi.

17. LizBug

LizBug

Mar 3, 2006
    Atco,NJ
    awesome capture..i love snakes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.