Snakes

Real Name
Mike
Just a couple of snakes and a story.

Black Rat Snake (Pantherophis alleghaniensis)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Same snake, sunning itself:

This snake was found during a three day eDNA Workshop. We were sampling for massasauga and a snake fungus that is attacking snakes in our area. There are metal snake boards on property to attract snakes for study and monitoring. A massasauga had been seen under two of the boards in recent weeks so we knew it was in the area. Since we knew that, we were very careful of where we stepped. It was not under either board but should have still been in the area. Soil samples were being taken from one board location. I was about to step back and looked behind me to see where I would step. This snake was sitting about six inches behind my right foot. It showed no signs of aggression even after our snake expert picked it up for examination and DNA sampling. It was placed back where we found it. They really are very timid and docile snakes that are not likely to strike. She is a four year old gravid female.

Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus)

Thanks for looking!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Nice shots and story, Mike! I grew up where rattlesnakes were not uncommon. I gave them a LOT of space! LOL!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom