SnapBridge to LightRoom Mobile - no EXIF data

Real Name
Andy
I just tried using SnapBridge in the field for the first time in quite awhile and noticed that the EXIF data for focal length and exposure details is visible in SnapBridge but does not transfer when I send the RAW file to Lightroom mobile. Any suggestions?

Hi Andy, I just checked my phone pix. I downloaded some photos from my Z previously. I see the metadata in SB. Just opened up LR Mobile and looked at the same file, which is a jpg. Under info I see same metadata and my copyright. Perhaps I used jpg vs. RAW. Will try that option.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I just tried using SnapBridge in the field for the first time in quite awhile and noticed that the EXIF data for focal length and exposure details is visible in SnapBridge but does not transfer when I send the RAW file to Lightroom mobile. Any suggestions?
Are you using the paid or free LR Mobile?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
From a Google search (I don't use Snapbridge)

Menu Bar

Show Credits: When an image is transferred, the app will automatically add a small amount of camera metadata information, which is overlaid on the image and displayed in the corner of the image. You can choose a wide range of metadata to show such as; the camera model, lens used, aperture and shutter speed or copyright info, time the image was taken or comments. You can use this setting to really customise the way your image data is displayed automatically by also changing the font type, style and colour.

Real Name
Andy
From a Google search (I don't use Snapbridge)

Menu Bar

Show Credits: When an image is transferred, the app will automatically add a small amount of camera metadata information, which is overlaid on the image and displayed in the corner of the image. You can choose a wide range of metadata to show such as; the camera model, lens used, aperture and shutter speed or copyright info, time the image was taken or comments. You can use this setting to really customise the way your image data is displayed automatically by also changing the font type, style and colour.
Indeed, that does happen within the Snapbridge app. That’s how I know it’s getting from the camera to the smart device. But the data does not propagate when the image is imported from Snapbridge to LR Mobile.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Did you check your LR settings for import? I believe there is a setting to not import metadata.... Might you have changed something when sending photos to a client?

Real Name
Andy
I just tried it with a reduced file size jpg and the EXIF data transferred - so that does seem to be the solution. This represents a pretty significant limitation, IMO. I can’t be the only one who prefers not to have to choose between post processing jpgs with EXIF data vs. RAW files without EXIF data.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I just tried it with a reduced file size jpg and the EXIF data transferred - so that does seem to be the solution. This represents a pretty significant limitation, IMO. I can’t be the only one who prefers not to have to choose between post processing jpgs with EXIF data vs. RAW files without EXIF data.
I don't understand how this can be. If the RAW file is sent across then that file contains the EXIF data.
Otherwise it would imply that Snapbridge is changing (and damaging) the RAW file, which surely cannot be the case - or can it?

Real Name
Andy
Otherwise it would imply that Snapbridge is changing (and damaging) the RAW file, which surely cannot be the case - or can it?
My thought too.
One thing I noticed when exporting the file at original size from SB to LR is that it gets a second extension (e.g., XYZ_1234.NEF.jpeg) and the EXIF data is lost. When exporting a reduced file size, it goes as .jpg and keeps the EXIF.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
One thing I noticed when exporting the file at original size from SB to LR is that it gets a second extension (e.g., XYZ_1234.NEF.jpeg) and the EXIF data is lost. When exporting a reduced file size, it goes as .jpg and keeps the EXIF.
Is SB putting the captured files into your Photos library automatically?
Is LR Mobile reading them from your Photos library?

Real Name
Andy
Is SB putting the captured files into your Photos library automatically?
Is LR Mobile reading them from your Photos library?

No to both questions. Here are the steps I've taken:
1. Capture normally
2. Establish WiFi connection from camera to phone
3. Transfer image from camera to SnapBridge app on the phone as RAW (I don't record a separate jpg file on the card in the camera)
3. Send image from SnapBridge app to Lr mobile app
4. Open in Lr

For step 3, I'm using the "share" button at the lower left to transfer it to Lr mobile:
IMG_62714DD00940-1.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Then I think the explanation may be that regardless of what it may say, it is not in fact exporting the RAW file, instead a full size JPG file.
What exactly does it say?
Is there a way to stop it adding the extra extension - it seems very odd. Could that be forcing LR to read the embedded JPG instead of the RAW content?
Lightroom can work with JPG files.

Real Name
Andy
For the image in the screenshot that I shared, Lr renames it:
IMG_1574_NEF.jpeg

The date and time are correctly preserved. Where the equipment should appear, it says "Unknown Camera" and "Unknown Lens." Where the exposure data should appear, it says "No Exif information."

Real Name
Walter Rowe
No to both questions. Here are the steps I've taken:
1. Capture normally
2. Establish WiFi connection from camera to phone
3. Transfer image from camera to SnapBridge app on the phone as RAW (I don't record a separate jpg file on the card in the camera)
3. Send image from SnapBridge app to Lr mobile app
4. Open in Lr
Can you try using the Photos library as the intermediate store? That might get the true raw file to LR and retain everything you expect.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom