Snapshots question

On another site I belong to they have a monthly snapshot competition between members. The guy running it admits he knows nothing about photography. So he insists no alterations to the photos but to post as taken.
This led me to think "What is a snapshot"? the obvious answer is a quick photo taken without much thoughts and no editing. This is fine on the surface.

BUT with digital cameras especially DSLR cameras they can be preset to say for example a fisheye setting. Ok then is it a "Snapshot"or not? even with the intention just to take fisheye type photos

trying to explain to him an in-camera setting can still be a "Snapshot" is not understood.

I was wondering what members here undersand what a "Snapshot" photo actually is ?

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
On certain forums, this would end up being a "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" discussion. Thankfully this is not that type of forum. To answer your question about what a snapshot is, I would start with the idea that it is not an image that is heavily thought out and/or arranged. It is an "of the moment" type capture. Things like background, the angle of light, and things in the frame other than the subject matter do not factor highly, or at all, in the process of taking the image. I would also say that the intent of the image is not usually for commercial use. I am sure there are exceptions to any part of what I have said above, and that's fine. And I am sure that you will receive a number of other definitions as well, so you may have to decide how narrow or wide of a definition you want (in this case or other cases).

The bigger question is trying to explain to the site host what does or does not constitute a snapshot, IMHO. That is a can of worms and all I can say is that II would stay away from terms like "snapshot" and stick to what is or is not acceptable or desired from the forum members. "No alterations" is just not a very helpful description on its own. As you mentioned, images are altered in the process of capture. Does he want camera controls to be set to something like neutral or standard? Can exposure compensation be used? How about changes in saturation and sharpening? And the list goes on and on as to what can be done in a camera. As I said, it is a can of worms.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ken

The problem is he has no knowledge about cameras Let alone DSLR,s. I did ask for a more specific ruling and all I got back was "run you own competition" then. Needless to say I have hopefully withdrawn my two entries, as he could not even say reducing from a RAW file to a Jpeg to post on the site was acceptable.
to run this sort of members only competition ,if only for fun, to my mind one has to have some idea about photography

It is so frustrating when you ask might as well ask a brick wall, other members just accept as they are not "into" photography either.

Tried talking on another thread on that site a bit about photography and all I get is we don't understand,. even about composition. Real answer should be we are not interested and don't want to learn

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd steer clear Barry. Doesn't sound like a friendly group of people.
It is a general chat site but with photo thread headings. New members are not the same as they used to be,a lot of the oldies have gone. I get the feeling it is getting very what we call clicky and only interested in stupid guessing games. Even the DIY thread is more or less ignored by most. Even posting a photo is shot down by the so called "expert" who joined not long ago, used to be a very good site and maybe i am getting bored with the same thing cropping up , I don't know.

Real Name
Ken
Ken

The problem is he has no knowledge about cameras Let alone DSLR,s. I did ask for a more specific ruling and all I got back was "run you own competition" then. Needless to say I have hopefully withdrawn my two entries, as he could not even say reducing from a RAW file to a Jpeg to post on the site was acceptable.
to run this sort of members only competition ,if only for fun, to my mind one has to have some idea about photography

It is so frustrating when you ask might as well ask a brick wall, other members just accept as they are not "into" photography either.

Tried talking on another thread on that site a bit about photography and all I get is we don't understand,. even about composition. Real answer should be we are not interested and don't want to learn
In this case, you either enter an images and see what happens or just take a pass. No sense in mud wrestling with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig enjoys it.

So sorry,

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom