'snobby' lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by The Ben, Jul 7, 2008.

1. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Who knows what I'm talking about? I'm finding myself wanting more and more 'snobby' lenses than normal ones.

:biggrin:

2. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    How about a Nikkor AF-S 28 f1.4 for starters.. not many around! But, pretty cool piece.
    I want a 500 or 600 /4 VR. So I can really play.

3. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

For example, I have a Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 and a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 APO EX DG AF.

Which one is more snobby?

In the end it is not the collection of glass that sets you apart from other photographers, it is the images you create that makes your mark on the photography world.

One of the best photographs of 2007 was taken with a 18-200mm VR lens. A kit lens.

4. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I had a 18-200 VR and it was an awesome lense for a DX format. I wished they made a FX lens that would cover that range with good f#, even if it was quite large in size. I would sell my zooms that cover that range.

5. Right on!

Things are only snobby to those who don't have 'em---perhaps!

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

Nonsense. This is about being snobby. Get with the program. We don't care if you take pictures or not. This is about having the best toys when you die.

7. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    the most snobby lens is the 6/2.8 super-fisheye

8. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
  9. I have a couple that are so snobby I refuse to talk about them.

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Then there is also the 300 f/2

11. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Getting pretty snobby in here! I vote for the the 6/2.8 fish. Even a Noct-Nikkor 58 /1.2 is pretty snobby.

12. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Funny...used on on a Canon body ;)

Snobby? 85 f1.2 or perhaps that 200 f2......

13. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The AIS 200-400/4 used to be just as snobby since they were made in similar numbers (around 450), but since the AFS 200-400 came out the AIS version has lost some of its snob appeal.

Another contender for snobby lenses is the 10mm OP (orthographic projection) lens. According to Nikon it was the world's first SLR lens with an aspheric lens, it requires true mirror lockup to use (Nikon F, F2, F3, Nikkormat), the images are weird even for a fisheye, and it's rare (approx 700 made).

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

anything better than a kit lens is prolly snobby...so guess i'ma snob ..lol

15. ora-et-labora

ora-et-labora

Mar 15, 2008
    Earth
  16. My one venture into what might be considered "snob lenses" is the AI-S 135/2. But it only cost a couple of hundred (although I seem them listed by dealers at nearly twice that). Does that mean mine wasn't expensive enough to be a true "snob" lens? :cool:

17. ora-et-labora

ora-et-labora

Mar 15, 2008
    Earth
    Hm, I guess, this lens is too reasonable to be snobby :)

18. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This snob thing is analogous to the fish - biggerfish thing! Always a bigger fish in the lake somewhere LOL!
    Markus, very snobby unit!

19. Esoteric stuff like the 28/1.4 are only snobby if around other shooters who have a clue. For the general public, bigger is snobbier. :smile:

20. Agreed with the proviso that girth impresses as much or more than length.:biggrin:

If I wanna' look snobby I hang my 300f2.8 AI-S over my shoulder on my old D2h and shoot with whatever lens I really need on my D3. The thickness impresses/intimidates the commoners.