Snohomish Birds 02/05/2005

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Got to the Bob Heirman Reserve "bright" and early, about 7AM, to be ready for the Swan Flyout. Andreas and I were getting set up at 7:10AM when the first birds flew out. Say what? They NEVER fly before 8AM, no worries, plenty left, until the next 2 dozen took off at 7:23AM , leaving but 3 birds for Vern, Olga and Jim. Very strange, tough to shoot before sunrise. I tried, but at 1/40, not good. The last 3 flew out, and here is about the best of those:

DSC2062Frame.

Then Olga and I walked about 500 miles :wink: around the back of the pond, and all we got for our efforts were wet feet and a bunch of birds that took off just as we were getting close enough to see them. Needless to say, not my best day at Bob Heirman. So I decided to drive some farm roads on the way home looking for other places and guess what I found?

Juvenile Bald Eagle:
    DSC2089Frame.sized.

DSC2091Frame.sized.

I started walking around to the front side to catch him when he took off, and, wouldn't you know it, he took off before I got there. I have enough Eagle Butt Shots, didn't need anymore. But then this guy shows up right in front of me:

American Robin, spring must be here:

DSC2093Frame.sized.

DSC2095Frame.sized.

Weather held nicely for us, we even had sun. This all shows me that perserverance is the key.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Morning Bill

Well I must say you came home with a beautiful mixed bag of birdies. All of which I love.

The three swans are a wall hanger for sure. Young eagle and robin are beautiful.

Really like them all.

Don't know how you can stand that cold though..

Cheers
    Gale

3. Re: Morning Bill

Thanks, Gale. The sad thing is that the Swan Flyout was absolutely gorgeous. I have to look at my "group flyout" shots to see if any are OK enough to post, but at 1/40 with them and me both moving, I'm just not sure. It is amazing how bright things can seem to our eye, but even at 1600 you can't get a decent shutter speed. Guess I should have tried 3200.

Yeah, it really is rough here. When it gets REALLY cold, like all the way down to the 20's 2 or 3 times a year, I have to wear 2 or 3 layers. And then walk to work, 50 miles, uphill both ways, in our horrible, 2" of snow, almost up to the toes of my shoes, yup, just horrible :wink:

Truth be told the weather is the one thing I do miss from Southern California, where I did most of my growing up. But the, in the months from May-October, especially summer, we have days where the sun rises at 5AM and doesn't set until after 9PM. That coupled with 70 degree weather almost makes up for this trashy winter weather :lol:

4. Nice shots Bill! and all I got was...

This one, I should have followed your advice and gone to ISO 1600 as fast as possible but for 1/20th with a Sigma 800 it aint that bad? Ok then maybe :) some artistic value?
    Nikon D2h
    1/20s f/8.0 at 800.0mm iso800 hide exif
    Full EXIF Info
    Date/Time 05-Feb-2005 08:23:49
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D2H
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 800 mm
    Exposure Time 1/20 sec
    Aperture f/8
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias
    White Balance
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
    Focus Distance

See you later at the superbowl party Bill!

andreas

5. What a nice collection of bidies the eagle is awesome, nice Robins by the way, keep them coming

6. Re: Nice shots Bill! and all I got was...

I tried to do something "artsy" with a couple of those as well and gave up, I guess I am just not "artsy-fartsy" enough :lol: :oops: .

I really should have gone to Hi-1 or 2 as soon as they started to move, but hwo expected them all to leave THAT early? Inconsiderate birds, in my opinion.

See you in a few hours, GO EAGLES!!!!!!!

7. Thanks, Mike, much appreciated.

One neat thing about living up here is that you find all sorts of neat things by just driving the back roads. The frustrating part is that often there is nowhere to stop anywhere close by. I saw a great spot on the river with some birds on stumps across the river and I couldn't find a place to stop within 1/2 mile each way. This Eagle wa off a frontage road that I was able to get to. Too bad he left before I could walk around in front of him. I really want to concentrate on more small birds this year. These little buggers are FAST. Hard to even get ready before they are gone. If I can ever catch one in flight it will be a miracle :lol:

8. A nice mixed bag for a day's outing! The formation of the swans is perfect!

9. Thanks, Janet. I think that is one thing I like about the Swans. They just seem to end up in such nice formation. I think the shots that I have with 2 or 3 in formation are my favorites, like the one in my Avatar.