Snow Birds

We have been blessed with several significant snow storms in our area. The latest 2 storms dumped over a foot of snow on us:biggrin:. When its snowing...if I am able to, I am out shooting! There is just something about shooting in the snow, I guess its the kid in me still.

What makes it even better is that in most cases, birds get VERY active during a snow storm. I sat in my blind while the snow piled up. I was able to pick and choose what birds I would photograph as they came into the yard/bubbler area. Several times during the day, I had over 100 birds within 20 feet of me feeding or drinking in the bubbler.

No rare birds showed up...but I am really happy with how some of these turned out. I shot in total manual so I could control the exposure as the snow always makes this difficult when going from ground shots to shots with little snow. At times, I played with my shutter speeds to give the image an artsy feel to it; particularly the last image of this set.

All were shot with the D300s, 600VR, some had with the 1.4tc, Manual exposure.

#1 Male Cardinal
7831_S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Male House Finch
7879_L.jpg

7886_L.jpg

#4 Black-capped Chickadee
7900_L.jpg

#5 Junco
7917_L.jpg

#6 Fox Sparrow
8019_L.jpg

#7 Junco
7955_L.jpg

7993_L.jpg

#9 Junco
8031_L.jpg

My favorite of the whole day...just a ordinary Junco, but I truly LOVE this image. The background is a Maple tree that holds its leaves every winter. The bird is perched in a Horse Chesnut Tree. The combo of bg colors and the perch and the blowing snow really appealed to me. For me, sitting in the blind for 5 hours that day was WELL worth it for just this one image.

#10 Junco
7848_L.jpg

Those are all just great, Jason. Well done. They are sure poofed up to conserve body heat. Do you have a catalytic heater or some other form of heat in your blind?

N

nso123

Beautiful shots. You have quite the variety of birds in this series.

A really great series Jason. You were very successful in getting images with an 'artsy feel'- I too like the last one best. Were you also a little cold in the blind for so long?

Ron

A wonderful set of close-ups with great, sharp detail! Your 600VR performed well; first chance I have had to really look at good output from this lens.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Just another super set Jason, and unique with the snow fall.

A wonderful set of close-ups with great, sharp detail! Your 600VR performed well; first chance I have had to really look at good output from this lens.

here are a few more of my buddy Jason's superb images with the 600, yes, I am his biggest fan in regards to his small bird images.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=292401

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=288509

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=286254

Last edited by a moderator:
Great set, Jason. I must say, #7 really speaks to me. I love the "starburst" quality of the BG and the craggly detail in the perch. Your time was well spent!

-Bill

Well Jason I'm not sure what to say except a stunning set. Another terrific set from you and I really enjoy looking at how you're not afraid to push the boundary of such slow shutter speed with a long lens, it speaks to your shooting skills.

Nice series Jason. I agree that snow does make the little guys more active in their search for food. However, I would not call the snow we received so far this winter a blessing :smile:

way to make me feel ashamed at my terrible shots. those are amazing in every way. i need a longer lens, and something that is sharper than what i have currently.. i have been sitting within 8 feet of birds, and getting mediocre results at 200-300mm :/

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom