Snow Birds

Just when I thought the second house finch shot was one of the best things I'd ever seen, I came to the sparrow and almost fell out of my chair. I can only dream of taking photos like these.

Very nice and chilly looking there pal,it sure is a lot of fun with these little beauties isn't it.
We will have to get together real soon and do this some more:smile:
Extremely well done Jason.

Mind if I ask a couple "technique questions"? I live in an area with a lot of big, mature trees. I think I should be able to pull in a lot of birds but really haven't gotten as many as I'd expect. Obviously you're doing it right;)

What is the area like? You mentioned a bubbler - I don't have any water...sounds like a good idea for an addition. What kind of plants are nearby? How far are you from the birds? I never thought of using a blind - I could "hide" under the deck and hang some tarps for a blind. ...any general tricks that you've found?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Mind if I ask a couple "technique questions"? I live in an area with a lot of big, mature trees. I think I should be able to pull in a lot of birds but really haven't gotten as many as I'd expect. Obviously you're doing it right;)

What is the area like? You mentioned a bubbler - I don't have any water...sounds like a good idea for an addition. What kind of plants are nearby? How far are you from the birds? I never thought of using a blind - I could "hide" under the deck and hang some tarps for a blind. ...any general tricks that you've found?

Jason's spot is pretty unique in variety and location, trees in the area, and other things. He gives a great super detail on his set up in this nice long thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=289609

Last edited by a moderator:
First, let me apologize for being so tardy to reply. A bit under the weather and just now starting to feel a bit better again. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate the feedback.

To answer a few questions...NO HEATER in the blind. That would be a big no no. The heat thermals that would rise up and out of the window ports would destory the IQ of any images shot through it. So...I just bundle up...and sit it out, sometimes I am in the blind for up to 8 hours. Most times though, I am in it from sunrise to noon.

The exceptions to this is if its snowing. If its snowing...and the birds are active, I am in the blind filling up my memory cards. I try to take advantage of that chance all I can. Some very neat images can be made if one is patient enough to sit through these storms.

As to the location I shoot. I would say that 95% of my "BYB" shooting is done at my parents place. They have been grooming their property for the past 37 years for birds and wildlife and as such...its simply amazing the birds and other critters that come through there. As Wade has pointed out, this past spring I built a water feature on the property to attract more birds and its the best thing we have done to date to draw in more birds.

I simply now just have to drive out to my parents house. I go in, share a cup of Coffee with my father and mother, go out into the yard and set up blind and begin shooting. Its pretty easy...but it took years of hard work on my parents behalf and then on my behalf (and other brothers) to get the yard to where it is today. Its a very unique place...and has drawn birders from great distances to view some of the odd birds that have come in here. I am very lucky to have it, and I am trying to "force" myself to spend more time there and not drive all over the U.S.A., trying to grow my portfolio. I have pretty well endless opportunties there, and I really am going to put it to the test this spring. IF all goes well, this should get REALLY interesting this spring at the bubbler.

Latest threads

Top Bottom