Snow Geese experts - Help needed!

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by Gordon Large, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

I'm totally confused. Some folks have told me that the Snow Goose population at Bombay Hook peaks in February or March. Same for Middle Creek (about 60 miles NW of Philly, which also has a large population.

On the other hand, other folks have told me that the geese start moving south as soon as their water starts to ice over, which is gonna be pretty soon at least up here in PA.

So, do I get in my car and head to BH or Middle Creed asap? Or do I wait until later in the winter. Or catch the geese now just before they head south and then again when the head North. Help!

All opinions welcome, as well as any current status reports at either place. And if now/soon is a good time to go, anybody want to come along with me or meet me there? I'm free every day - including both weekends - between now and December 20.

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. Whole new ball game when water freezes, but usually the rivers will remain open for some period thereafter. My personal opinion is to phone the local fish and game for the area you want to shoot, and they will provide you with the information you are looking for. Worth the phone call i think. Might save you a drive...............

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Keith -

I certainly will do that, but I'm being lazy. :rolleyes: Actually, I'm looking for some both expert opinions and someone to shoot with if the timing is still good.

Gordon

4. Gordon Go to naturescapes.net and PM Kim Steinmeyer.. I think that is her name. The girl from Bombay in the Green Honda element. I saw here down at Conowingo Dam she would know she goes there a lot. I dont think I can make it down before Christmas too much to do to get ready for the holidays

5. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

Gordon if you do a google search for pabirds listserv you will get all the info you need regarding birds in PA. You have to subscribe but it's free. Generally the best time for snow geese numbers at Middlecreek is the end of January to early March depending on the severity of the weather.