Snow Geese from the NW

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Got a chance to get out yesterday up on the Skagit Flats to see thousands of Snow Geese. Despite it being in the high 30's the geese put on quite a good show.

Most of the time I was shooting D2H and 500mm.

I was having my fair share of difficulties in holding the exposure correctly, with the white geese against a light sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

louie

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Louie. To me, shooting light colored birds in bright light is the most difficult exposure challenge. I try to underexpose by about a third or half stop to prevent blown areas. It's definitely a tough challenge though. :rolleyes:

3. Thanks Frank. Hopefully my trip to the Skagit Flats I'll get a bit more dialed in on the exposure.

4. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Louis nice shots!
    white birds inflight shots,I do -1&WB -2 if its day time.

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Dig the last Louie
    Great catch in a very neat pose !

6. Nice shots Louie, guess I need to get up there sometime soon.

#2 is my favorite.

7. D2H and 500mm??? Where the heck have I been, I seem to have mssed some MAJOR upgrades, eh?

We saw a bunch of geese today, but nowhere we could park and shoot. Where abouts did you find these, the fields at Fir Island? The 2nd and last are my personal favorites from this bunch, with the last one "winning by a nose" :wink:

8. Thanks Rathika, I'll try those settings. Fun shooting these guys.

9. Thanks Ben. There were so many geese your head starts spinning at which one to shoot. Thanks for your comments.

10. Thanks Ron, lets catch up when you can.

11. Bill, boy do we have some catching up to do. Glad to see your football season over so we can get out together and do some shooting. Being my first time up to Fir Island I was amazed at what I saw. I love the D2H, still getting to know it, and for the 500mm...sweet. Thanks for your comments.

louie