Snow tires

I was planning to drive down to town (145 miles) in the next couple days to have my snow tires taken off, and the summer tires installed. Well, today it's snowing again, and if the forecast is correct, we'll get 3-4 inches. Guess I will wait a few more days before getting tires changed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are these "snow tires" you speak of? :smile:
Good one! We use aggresive tread tires with steel studs mounted in the tread. By law, we have to have them taken off by May 15th, and they can't be put on again until September 15th. A few years ago, I headed south in the winter. Crossing the border between Arizona and California, they have a fruit inspection station. Before the inspector even asked me about any fruit or vegetables in my possession, he said "Those tires have nails in them. They aren't legal here in California." My response was that he was an agricultural inspector, not a tire inspector, and I did't have any fruits or vegetables in my truck.

..... he said "Those tires have nails in them. They aren't legal here in California."
And yet, the CHP said I wasn't allowed to drive over the mountains in northern California (I-5), until I went to local auto parts store an bought a set of chains for my car. Of course, right after I bought the chains, they opened the road and said I no longer needed them. True story.

I knew it was a scam.

And yet, the CHP said I wasn't allowed to drive over the mountains in northern California (I-5), until I went to local auto parts store an bought a set of chains for my car. Of course, right after I bought the chains, they opened the road and said I no longer needed them. True story.

I knew it was a scam.

On the Alaska Highway which runs from Dawson Creek, BC to Fairbanks (1400 miles), there are permanent signs at the base of mountain passes, that say, "Chains must be put on here unless equipped with snow tires in good condition". True story: I was driving on the highway in late June. Here was a guy from California who had pulled over, and was chaining up his car. I stopped and asked him what he was doing, and he pointed at the sign. I told him that the signs were only for winter driving, not summer, as the road was dry, and temperatures were warm. Did he feel silly!

....there are permanent signs at the base of mountain passes, that say, "Chains must be put on here unless equipped with snow tires in good condition".
Same type of sign where I was, but there were flashing lights to indicate when the "rules" were in effect (like a school zone). The lights were on, and a CHP officer was there to make sure everyone stopped and put on their chains. He is the one who directed me to the auto parts store. When I got back from purchasing the chains, I pulled off to the side of the road and started to install them. About half way through the process, they turned off the lights and said I no longer needed them to cross over the mountains. He said the pass usually opens up about that time every day. He could have told me that an hour (and $70) earlier. :rolleyes:

On the Alaska Highway which runs from Dawson Creek, BC to Fairbanks (1400 miles), there are permanent signs at the base of mountain passes, that say, "Chains must be put on here unless equipped with snow tires in good condition". True story: I was driving on the highway in late June. Here was a guy from California who had pulled over, and was chaining up his car. I stopped and asked him what he was doing, and he pointed at the sign. I told him that the signs were only for winter driving, not summer, as the road was dry, and temperatures were warm. Did he feel silly!
Yeah, most Californians are not used to inclement weather, and how they deal with it is quite humorous... except for their idiotic driving habits, which don't change at all!!! :eek::frown: I'm surprised that guy even knew how to put chains on!!! :tongue:

Yeah, most Californians are not used to inclement weather, and how they deal with it is quite humorous... except for their idiotic driving habits, which don't change at all!!! :eek::frown: I'm surprised that guy even knew how to put chains on!!! :tongue:
I was in the Anchorage Airport one winter, waiting for a flight to Homer, on the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula. All planes were delayed, as there was a bad snowstorm. Here were a couple guys visiting from California who were frustrated waiting for the delayed flights. They were talking with each other, and had decided to rent a car. "It's only 240 miles....we should be able to make it in a little over 3 hours." I turned and spoke with them, and told them that the road went over two passes which would have deep and blowing snow, and about 150 miles went through windy roads in the mountains. I finally convinced them that it wasn't a good idea to attempt to drive in a blizzard in a rental car......

I was planning to drive down to town (145 miles) in the next couple days to have my snow tires taken off, and the summer tires installed. Well, today it's snowing again, and if the forecast is correct, we'll get 3-4 inches. Guess I will wait a few more days before getting tires changed.
Steve -

I know that it is little consolation, yet - we woke up to nearly 3" of wet snow on the ground way down here on Tuesday morning. There would have been some nice photo ops around, except for having to go into work at 7:00 a.m. :biggrin:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Steve -

I know that it is little consolation, yet - we woke up to nearly 3" of wet snow on the ground way down here on Tuesday morning. There would have been some nice photo ops around, except for having to go into work at 7:00 a.m. :biggrin:
:eek:

Calculates distance between Kansas and St. Louis... :Curved:

I'm more in shock that the drive to "town" is 140 miles!
We don't consider that we live "in the sticks" as one would say. We live 2.5 miles from the highway, and the railroad is 1/4 mile away. The nearest town is 24 miles, but that town only has 200 people, our post office, one gas station, one bar, and a couple small motels. To get any major services, we have to go to the metropolis of Wasilla, which is 145 miles, or to Anchorage (179 miles) or Fairbanks (180 miles). We have a couple neighbors, and friends in the closest small town. Whenever one of us goes "to town" we always offer to pick up anything for them.

I had a very funny interaction regarding snow tires except in a sort of reverse direction. We had lived in Colorado for about 33 years and this past October moved to Georgetown, Texas to be near grandkids. In Colorado, I swapped between snow tires and all-season tires each year. When we got to Texas, I had 4 almost new Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on rims. I knew I could not sell them here so I decided to get some use out of them and I tossed them in the trunk of the car and drove to the nearest Discount Tire (I had bought the tires and rims at a Discount Tire and they swapped them each season-change for free). I walked up to the counter and when the young man there asked me what he could do for me I said, "I need to swap the street tires for four mounted snow tires that are in the trunk." The look on his face still makes me laugh. Oh how I wish I had brought a camera (or at least had the presence of mind to get the cell phone out and ready).

We usually swap back to All Seasons late March or early April. Last year, mid-March was too late as the warm roads will wear the soft winter tires quite quickly. This year, I still have one car and my daughter's car to do. And I don't feel like I'm pushing it. We had a few flakes today yet.

The part I thought was strange in your story was that you needed to go to town to get it done? I have two sets of rims for each car, and just make the swap in my garage. Unless I need to buy new rubber.

I was in the Anchorage Airport one winter, waiting for a flight to Homer, on the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsula. All planes were delayed, as there was a bad snowstorm. Here were a couple guys visiting from California who were frustrated waiting for the delayed flights. They were talking with each other, and had decided to rent a car. "It's only 240 miles....we should be able to make it in a little over 3 hours." I turned and spoke with them, and told them that the road went over two passes which would have deep and blowing snow, and about 150 miles went through windy roads in the mountains. I finally convinced them that it wasn't a good idea to attempt to drive in a blizzard in a rental car......
You should have let them go - it is called Natural Selection :biggrin:

Back to snow tyres - I have winter tyres and due to the cost of changing and storage, I leave them on all year around. I dont drive much so not a problem and as we have seen this year, snow doesnt respect the seasons!

And the snow plows do not chew up the pavement any more than the tires.

If you believe that, I have some Studebaker Motor car Stock for sale.

I live in our local foothills just above the 3,000 ft. mark, enough for some snow every winter. My parents live "down the hill" just off the major highway leading up into the mountains. You'd be surprised by how many people we hear humming down the highway at 50mph with their tire chains still on... dry road for miles behind them, required chain area long in the rear!!! :eek: Talk about a loud noise! :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom