Snow yes snow in Manitoba!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WHISTLING_WINGS, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Yesterday a storm went thru the province dropping anywhere from 10 to 40 cm of wet snow, (5 to 20 inches for my American freinds) While I think most will melt with temperatures returning to seasonal a great many migrants have pushed on, my awaited trip last weekend started and ended in the driveway with dark clouds hanging around and finally the snow. I will be lucky to get out should things not change. I guess the wintering birds will get more attention. :mad:

2. Yes, that's pretty amazing but not extraordinary. My wife spent a year in Winnipeg for her post-doc and she told me that when she was there (2002/2003) there also was snow at the beginning of October (Oct. 6th).
    What is more interesting is that the weekend before the snowstorm it had around 30°C.
    A friend of mine whom I met in Prague last weekend, just mailed me that when he returned to Ottawa it had 27°C.
    What a crazy weather.

Cheers

3. :eek:
    My brains -if any- cannot compile this... :confused:
    I think we are talking about a major nature mess-up... :Shocked:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  4. Brew

Brew Guest

PLEASE KEEP THAT JUNK UP THERE!!!!!!!! :frown:

I feel for you :frown:

5. Panos, while a LOT of strange weather can be traced back to nature screwing up, Canada is the exception! We always have very strange weather here in spring and in fall. It has to do with cold fronts from the very far north and warm fronts (sent up by Jarrell feeling sorry for Sandi) meeting up and fighting over which front gets control!! *LOL* It was so hot in Toronto here yesterday that I couldn't sit out in the sun, and last night a cold front moved in, kindly sent by Whistling_Wings, including cold miserable rain!! October and March are strange months, very strange, for Canadian weather. We've even had huge dumps of snow in Toronto in April - good news is that it soon melts but it certainly weighs heavy on the eyes unless you're into snowboarding.
    No wonder we go nuts here!
    BTW: We, in the east, don't call it Winnipeg, we call it Winterpeg!! LOL THEY KNOW SNOW!!!!!

6. And here we are dealing with 80s and 90s but it does get into the 50s in the mornings. Good luck with your trip, hope you get off OK.

7. All the way down to the 50's Gord
    Thats t-shirt and shorts weather.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    In Florida we wear sweat shirts and coats at 50 degrees....lolol

Don't laugh, it is true

9. Gale,

You need more anti-freeze in your blood.
    I reccomend the twelve year old variety.

Cheersssss,
    Robin

10. What if I tell you that it is already 20:55 over here in Cyprus and we've got ... 82,39°F / 28°C... :eek:

11. Yup That is typical Winnipeg....
    I just got a call From (cafe member) Dave Collignon who is leaving "winterpeg" as we speak to spend the weekend shooting with me. He tells me that the roads are not great....
    I told him to lock up his 4x4 and I'll have stiff drink for him upon his arrival.
    Good to see another canuck around these parts.... Welcome

12. Snow yes, good news!!!!

Heard the news about the snow and saw your post. I can hardly wait! :biggrin: Less than 90 days until ski season in southern Ontario.
    This is one is from two years ago, but we're chomping at the bit in our household to get out and enjoy the cold.

25291390.MansfieldOpeningDay.

Mark

13. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    And to think that I was excited by our "cold" temp this morning that allowed me to sit outside with my coffee for the first time in 4 months without sweating my a__ off! Got all the way down to 63F this morning and may dip into the 50s tonight! That sure beats the 100F temps of last week and the lows earlier this week of 75-80F. I guess it's all relative and everyone gets accustomed to the weather where they live eventually (or they just put up with the bad days/weeks/months).

14. Not for me, I put on a sweatshirt for my walk this morning and was seriously considering gloves. Course I have no antifreeze. :smile:

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    To warm you up a little, here some southern Negev and Arava desert pictures I took at the time you were stuck in the snow:

original.

View attachment 16411

Ah, and I forgot to say, it was around a 100F during the day.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  16. Heiko... only in our neighbourhood ... hehe :wink:
    But we can also ski on sand hills...

17. We got some trace of it already in Thunder Bay.

39115465-L.

bohdan