Snowey in florida :>))

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gale, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Tough when it gets to 75...lolol

Gotta love reflections and Fresh Little Snoweys.

Please critique......

2. Gale,
    This is a fantastic shot. It's certainly one I would love to have made. Contrast is a bit of a problem at least as seen on my monitor. There's not much you can do given the lighting under which this was photographed. Here's a technique that might be worth trying. I expose white birds at one-and-a-third ( 1 1/3 ) stops over on the white of the bird for which I want detail. I expect this would have made this whole shot darker, but would give greater feather detail. Post processing could fix the water if it's too dark. Fixing 'too light' is tough. In any action shot, composition is only approximate. I would crop a bit off the left and off the bottom. I think this would make a more balanced image. The reflection of the unseen bird takes this photo to another level. Congratulations.

3. Gale, we went looking for Snowies today also. Our snowys were of the owl variety and we never found them. We did find real snow though!! It was 32 at our house and we had a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Oh how I wish our low was 75, heck I would even take it if it was our high LOL. Nice pictures by the way.

4. They are the best to watch run around, hoping the pool at Merritt is filled with them again. Great shot BTW

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    SilverEagle,
    Thank you very much for the critique. I have been batteling with a crop on this one.. :>))) Light is a bit harsh I agree. Not sure in PP what more I can do. Have a go at it if you like.
    Alot of action going on with thes birds.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Jim,
    The high was 75 the low was about 40 and warmed up really fast. I was amazed. Had not planned on going out yesterday. Turned out beautiful.
    Our Eagles did not come out to play yesterday.
    So Snowies it was :>))

Thank you for you kind appreciations.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike,
    I watched quite a few of them yesterday for a couple of hours. They are fun to watch for sure.
    They are always chasing each other or dancing and fishing.

There will be an abundance of birdies for you Mike. :>))

8. Here's another version of your photo. I added some water to the right side and selectively darkened, etc. THere's lotsa right answers. It's a bit dark, but it is just another interpretation. I like using a zoom when photographing birds so that I can shoot a bit loose and crop a bit later. If the light is not changing, I also set up my exposure and shoot manual exposure til the light changes. Anyway, I like your shot a lot, and thought I would take you up on your offer to play some with your image. It was fun. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Interesting shot Gale. I like the reflection in the upper left. It almost looks like there's an upside-down birdie there. Can't wait for Feb and the Cafe gathering down there. :wink:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Frank,
    In this one I forget who was chasing who...lol You know how they are, and fast moving action when they start also.

Need a machine gun.!!!!!

Can't shoot but one at a time. Three on the D100 is actually useless. I get very frustrated, and the 80-400 VR doen't make it any easier. Toooo slow for fast action.

I wondered if that strange shadow ruined the image.

The sky was extremely blue and clear yesterday, as you can tell from the water. Haven't seen that in a long time. Summer is so hazy.

See ya soon :>))

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you Jim

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi again SilverEagle,
    This was shot manual 1/1000 at 6.3 . 80-400 VR and Kinko Pro 300 1.4 TC . Full zoom.

I have forgotten how to "add" to the photo. It was short on the right for sure.
    I like your interpertation.
    Thank you for the time and consideration.
    Regards

13. How I moded your image and some ramblings

Gale,
    First, I opened a new larger white image and copied your image into it. Next, I flattened the image. Then, I used the clone tool and copied various parts of the water from the left to the right to fill in the white space. The spray paint tool was used to paint the sky after selecting color with eyedropper. Then I cropped the image to my liking. I used curves and levels to darken the image. I also did a little burning in around the edges. I saw a bit of color fringing since I was working on a small file I guess, so I selected some of this color in Replace color and changed the hue and desaturated a bit to minimize effects. By the way the image looks a lot darked on my laptop screen compared to my CRT which is calibrated. By the way, I once saw a major exhibit at the Center for Creative Photography at the Univ of Arizona consisiting entirely of very dark minimal detail very simple images. Images that may be too dark for realistic wildlife photography can be thought of as leaning a bit toward art. At least that's the way I think of it. By the way, this center is the home to much of Ansel Adams life's work. Coincidentally, we have a show of about 140 of his prints at Huntsville Museum of Art thru the middle of January.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Muril, that is an interesting way to do it. There are several ways, one is to stretch also.
    I stopped by your web site. Very nice. Left a message in the guest book.
    Very nice.

Think I am not feeling very artistic today...:>))

15. Well done Gale, you might like Snowys more than I do ;)

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Brett,
    Thank you.

Gotta love snoweys.. They are a fun birdie. :>))

Wish I had a few more Raptors to capture though....

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you Gordon.