Snowing in Denver so....

Here is another studio type flower shot. Critiques are welcome. Good or bad.

20850621-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Processed with Raw Magick(beta)
Charles

Sorry, I don't have a critique, but I like the shot. Hard to say anything about the processing since I haven't seen the originals, but the results are excellent. Great color and very sharp. That's what I'm usually shooting for in a final pic. 8)

What framing action did you use?

Frank

Real Name
Chris
This shot really looks good - the colors are special for me as they tend to blend, and I like the fact that these flowers have seen a day or two, so their petals are not new and perfect.

You ask for critique, but I hate to try to impose my vision on yours. You, no doubt took the photograph you wanted. Or you might be wanting an opinion on a look you're not sure of, I don't know. The upshot is that this photo stands as is. It makes a statement - to me, something about age and resignation to imperfection (but these days, most things say that to me. :( )

Having said all that, if I had shot it, I might have used a reflector, held down low, to reflect some light on the undersides of the flowers. Not a lot, so the shadows would still be there, just enough to show more detail.

Chris,

I tried using a reflector to bring up the shadows but it changed the mood of the image. With the snow outside I thought using the aged flower was better for the mood.

You are not imposing your vision on me or the image with a critique. A critique to me, means telling the photographer what the image does well, and what it lacks from someone elses point of view.

Thanks for the critique. :)

Charles

Frank,

I have been asked about the framing action before. There must be something about it?

I create the matte and then use an action called foreground color frame. Thin black frames are basic and don't pull the eye away from the image. I have no idea where I got the action. I will try and find it for you though.

ps. May I call you Frank?

Charles

I like the image, it is well saturated, good focus and detail and overall pleasing. By way of critique if it were mine I would crop just a bit off the bottom (just above your name) and leave just a bit more on the top. I have the feeling that it is crowding the top of the frame just a little. I might also brighten it up a little. By saying that I also realize that your idea here may have been to creat a mood shot and have purposely darkened it to achieve that effect.

greyflash said:
I like the image, it is well saturated, good focus and detail and overall pleasing. By way of critique if it were mine I would crop just a bit off the bottom (just above your name) and leave just a bit more on the top. I have the feeling that it is crowding the top of the frame just a little. I might also brighten it up a little. By saying that I also realize that your idea here may have been to creat a mood shot and have purposely darkened it to achieve that effect.

I will look at the crop again as I can see what you are saying.

The only editing on this image was to remove one stem that I didn't notice before capture. I try to do all of my editing before capture. The image was not darkened.

Thanks

Charles

I think it is Beautiful.

I am mostly to novice to give good critiques.

I do know what I like tho :>)))

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom