Snowing in Denver so....

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cwilt, Apr 30, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Here is another studio type flower shot. Critiques are welcome. Good or bad.

[​IMG]

Processed with Raw Magick(beta)
    Charles

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry, I don't have a critique, but I like the shot. Hard to say anything about the processing since I haven't seen the originals, but the results are excellent. Great color and very sharp. That's what I'm usually shooting for in a final pic. 8)

What framing action did you use?

Frank

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    This shot really looks good - the colors are special for me as they tend to blend, and I like the fact that these flowers have seen a day or two, so their petals are not new and perfect.

You ask for critique, but I hate to try to impose my vision on yours. You, no doubt took the photograph you wanted. Or you might be wanting an opinion on a look you're not sure of, I don't know. The upshot is that this photo stands as is. It makes a statement - to me, something about age and resignation to imperfection (but these days, most things say that to me. :( )

Having said all that, if I had shot it, I might have used a reflector, held down low, to reflect some light on the undersides of the flowers. Not a lot, so the shadows would still be there, just enough to show more detail.

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Chris,

I tried using a reflector to bring up the shadows but it changed the mood of the image. With the snow outside I thought using the aged flower was better for the mood.

You are not imposing your vision on me or the image with a critique. A critique to me, means telling the photographer what the image does well, and what it lacks from someone elses point of view.

Thanks for the critique. :)

Charles

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Frank,

I have been asked about the framing action before. There must be something about it?

I create the matte and then use an action called foreground color frame. Thin black frames are basic and don't pull the eye away from the image. I have no idea where I got the action. I will try and find it for you though.

ps. May I call you Frank?

Charles

6. I like the image, it is well saturated, good focus and detail and overall pleasing. By way of critique if it were mine I would crop just a bit off the bottom (just above your name) and leave just a bit more on the top. I have the feeling that it is crowding the top of the frame just a little. I might also brighten it up a little. By saying that I also realize that your idea here may have been to creat a mood shot and have purposely darkened it to achieve that effect.

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I will look at the crop again as I can see what you are saying.

The only editing on this image was to remove one stem that I didn't notice before capture. I try to do all of my editing before capture. The image was not darkened.

Thanks

Charles

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think it is Beautiful.

I am mostly to novice to give good critiques.

I do know what I like tho :>)))

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Charles,

Actually, I prefer Frank. :lol:

Please do see if you can find the frame action.

Thanks,

Frank

10. Nice shot with an equally nice composition!! :D :D :D