snowing still.....

Well, it's the 1st of May, and we got 2" of new snow last night, and it's supposed to snow for the next 4-5 days. We still have 3-4 feet of snow on the ground. Need I say it's been a cold spring, setting records for cold temperatures this time of the year? We do grow tired of it! Normally by now we'd have some open water in the area, there'd be robins,varied thrushes, and sparrows singing, but none of them have come back yet. A couple pairs of trumpeter swans showed up, stayed a few days on the snow covered ice on our lake, and hopefully flew back south to find open water and food.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Steve, believe me, if you'll live in Florida you'll miss it... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Two weeks ago we had snow too. :mad:

Regards from Germany
Klaus

Steve, believe me, if you'll live in Florida you'll miss it... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards from Germany
Klaus

I moved from the Midwest to Florida. I do NOT miss the snow or ice and anything associated with it. The only "weird" things have been wearing shorts on Christmas and mowing all winter.

Regards from Germany
Klaus
Klaus, we have had snowstorms every month of the year here. Still, we are ready for this winter's snow to start to melt, and have the 120 species of migrant birds finally return!

supposed to hit low 80's Sun. and Mon. in South Alaska (Seattle)
Yea, rub it in!

I moved from the Midwest to Florida. I do NOT miss the snow or ice and anything associated with it. The only "weird" things have been wearing shorts on Christmas and mowing all winter.
I would seriously miss winter and snow!

We also received about 2" of snow last night. We need as much spring moisture as we can get - the wildfire season will be here before we know it. I'll take cold & snow over heat & smoke any day!!

Sean

Even though it has been cold, and the interior of the state has been getting snow, they are already gearing up for the fire season here. It's pretty common to have 3-5 million acres burn in the summer months here.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Over here it's finally getting better, temperature wise speaking, but it still does not feel like Spring at all. Especially the wind keeps cold, but at least now in the sun and out of the wind it's nice again!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I invite you to come on down to St. Louis, MO, where today's temperature is a lovely 79F! :biggrin:

You guys can keep your all year sun and heat, I like my UK 4 seasons with top temperatures of no more than the 90s but if you don't mind I would like to send you our pollen, unfortunately there would appear to be no perfect climate but ours comes pretty close.

Real Name
Dan
One does pay a heavy price during the long winters. It has to be looked at as an investment in the summer to come...

large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife's down in Homer, where it's raining now. At our house in the Alaska Range, it's continued to snow........

Wildlife Photography

Steve,

Is there any opportunity for wildlife photography during your long winter?

I don't know how you do it Steve. We had a couple nice warm days this week and now a cold front just moved through and I am ready to crawl in a cave. I've just had it with cold yucky weather.

Steve,

Is there any opportunity for wildlife photography during your long winter?
Occassionally Don. We see moose, but don't like to bother them during a time when they are struggling to find food. Caribou are around at times. We have 6 species of birds commonly here in winter. By now, there would normally be some open water, and we'd have at least a dozen migrants in, but with the cold spring, they aren't here yet.

I don't know how you do it Steve. We had a couple nice warm days this week and now a cold front just moved through and I am ready to crawl in a cave. I've just had it with cold yucky weather.

As I've said, we're growing very tired of this cold spring. We got 5 more inches of snow overnight. Here's our forecast now:
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT AKDT
TONIGHT...
.TODAY...PERIODS OF SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES. SNOW ACCUMULATION 2 TO 4
INCHES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.
.TONIGHT...SNOW LIKELY. SNOW ACCUMULATION 2 TO 4 INCHES. LOWS
IN THE LOWER 20S. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.
.SATURDAY...CLOUDY. PERIODS OF SNOW LIKELY. ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 2
INCHES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. VARIABLE WINDS LESS THAN 15 MPH.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS IN THE TEENS.
NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH.

Here's our view this morning. You wouldn't know there are large very rugged mountains here!

frontyard.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom