1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Snowy Egrets at the local lake

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 9, 2008.

1. The local lake has been a great place for birding, but it's over-run by Canada Geese these days, and the population of snowy egrets has been shrinking. To make it worse, the water flow pattern has been altered, and the snowies no longer feed at their traditional haunts.

Armed with my new telephoto, I was determined to find a few snowies. I came upon a pair of them feeding 1/2 mile away from the old lunchroom.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 216160

View attachment 216161

View attachment 216162

View attachment 216163

View attachment 216165

All shots taken with the d200 and 70-300VR.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Very nice Frank. One of my favorites of birds.

3. Thanks, Louis. The snowies are among my favorites, too. Their white reflective feathers present quite a challenge.

4. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Wonderful images, Frank! I love the 3rd one- he looks like he's showing off and ever sooo graceful! I too love my 70-300VR.:biggrin:

5. These are fine captures, Frank. I bet nailing the right exposure on
    the white feather is challenging.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. Thanks, Hide. But I don't try to nail the exposure. I just set exposure compensation to underexpose, usually by -0.7 ev, and then adjust levels in post processing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  7. Very nice series Frank. Great job preserving the detail in the whites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.