Snowy Egrets (BIF)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cre8foru, Aug 1, 2008.

1. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    I went this morning to check out E.L. Huie Wetlands here in Clayton County Ga. Looks like a may have found a place to practice my BIF shots.
    I think this is a Snowy Egret. All shot with D300 on 21 pt AF with 1.4 TC. All exif data is at my website on pbase.
    original.gif

View attachment 231263

View attachment 231264

2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    wow on #1

3. Fantastic series, great light. Very nicely done.

4. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Cre8foru, superb BIF job, capturing these guys majestically flying by! They are nice and sharp with good wing detail. I hope you won't mind my making some constructive comments - the bird itself looks really great, but the background isn't as strong. I actually think it's much more difficult to get a clean background with sky than with stuff in the background because you can't hide things! :biggrin: The two issues are the slightly noticeable S/H type halos and/or cloning marks on #1 & #3, and also, a wee bit of noise on all three.

Everyone has different ways to deal with this, but first, I would start with exif. While I think your very high shutter speed (1/5000 & 1/6400) helped you get these crisply focused shots, since these are slower flying birds, some of the high shutter speed could have been exchanged for a lower ISO or perhaps even aperture (though at your focal length, DOF doesn't seem to be an issue, so not as important). I personally don't feel the extra shutter speed added much more to freeze the action and especially at a shorter focal length. 1/2500 would have been plenty for this particular species.

About halo and noise, a lower ISO makes lightening up something dark a little cleaner. Also, one option among many, is to make one of your passes on S/H or brightness by using the select tool and choosing just the sky, since it's all pretty much in the same color range. Just use a careful eye and not overdo it; it can get tricky and sometimes can leave a line that might end up being a little worse than a straight S/H to the whole image. I sometimes make multiple conservative passes using a combination of methods. And lastly, using a noise reduction program can help smooth out the noise.

Please don't let my comments make you think it's anything other than an excellent set, just mentioning the little fine-tuning items to think about. I really like #1 & #3, the first one has a great profile and the face is so clear and sharp. The last one is good for its even lighting, the head turning slightly towards you, and the straight down wing position, showing both the outside and inside wing detail. :smile:

5. Great job, you nailed, great detail left on the white birds. BIF's are lots of fun.
    Kevin

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    hehe, you won't ever be home now that you found a spot! Well done!

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    #3 does it for me, nice image.

8. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    goin back tomorrow :)

9. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    My favorite too.

10. You handle the Exposure very Well, Looks like you got a Great Spot Richard!!!

11. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Awesome shots,,,, I really love setting here and lookin' at those feathers and how they are overlayed so perfectly ... just fantastic

12. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Thank you. Im hopin this spot will be as good as it was that day. Looks promising.

13. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    thank you. I was happy with the results myself.

14. Beautiful images ... I love No. 1 the most.

Regarding the shutter speed, I read somewhere that 1/2000 will almost freeze any movement by a living creature. Maybe someone expert at this can start a new thread and explain that there with some examples. I don't want to hijack this thread of beautiful BIF images.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice captures Richard.

16. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks and yes it was definitely overkill on the shutter speed. It was one of those grab and shoot things and check settings later.