Snowy Egrets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

I'm envious of your opportunities. Snowy's are one of my favorite subjects, and you have done these guys justice. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

2. The snowy egret is one cool looking bird!! Awesome shots Frank!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

3. Hey, thanks, Frank. I'm really lucky to have access to these critters at a nearby lake. Hummers are my favorites birds, but the Snowies are a close second. I love the challenge of stalking them, and finding an exposure that will capture some detail in all that blinding white 8) .

4. Thanks, Dawg! I'm glad you liked them. I'm trying to get close enough to show their personalties along with some detail.

5. Hey Frank,

Great shots of the snowies! I'm glad they're back at the lake. We should meet up there again for another fun session... Btw, my favorite is the last one you presented here: what an awesome shot! 8)

6. I'd be happy to, whenever you have the time, Philippe. How was the wine tour?

7. celia bule

celia bule Guest

Very beautiful. I think you could work as a national geographic photographer.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Uncle Frank,

Really fine Snowy Egret shots. They are one of my favorites here in Florida and glad to hear they're out there with you too.

I enjoy all your posts and thanks,

Gaye

9. Uncle Frank:

Beautiful images of a beautiful bird.

10. they are one of my favorite birds, these are very nicely done they are so graceful looking when in flight

11. Celia, Gaye, Gil, and Mike.... Thanks to each of you for your kind words 8).

12. Wow Frank, lovely images of the egrets. You have really the essence of these birds and held the exposure well.

13. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Super shot Uncle Frank! love that last one 8) .

14. Awesome, Frank. Especially like the first one.

15. Thanks, Gordon and Craig!

Craig, the last shot shows why it's so difficult to catch one of these critters in early stages of flight. If you look at the water droplets below the feet, you'll see they're not dripping down... they're pulled up from the water. The Snowy has very long and springy legs, but they're usually in a crouch. When they go airborne, their first move is to straighten and propel themselves into the air with leg power. It's a huge vertical leap, like an NBA player going for a dunk. And it's almost impossible to anticipate... as you can tell from the crop on my shot :? :oops: 8).

16. I love Snowy Egrets, can't wait until they come back to NY! You have some sweet shots here Frank!! :shock:

17. Thanks, George! I've admired your nature photography, so that's a very nice compliment coming from you 8) .