Snowy Egrets

The Snowy Egrets have returned to northern California, and now that the Spring run-offs are subsiding, they're back
to fishing in their old haunts... and I'm back to haunting them 8) . All shots with the 80-200/2.8 AF D ED. I
opted for image quality over reach, so I didn't use my teleconverter.

41661320.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 7023
View attachment 7024
View attachment 7025
View attachment 7026

Frank,

I'm envious of your opportunities. Snowy's are one of my favorite subjects, and you have done these guys justice. :wink:

Regards,

Frank

Hey, thanks, Frank. I'm really lucky to have access to these critters at a nearby lake. Hummers are my favorites birds, but the Snowies are a close second. I love the challenge of stalking them, and finding an exposure that will capture some detail in all that blinding white 8) .

Hey Frank,

Great shots of the snowies! I'm glad they're back at the lake. We should meet up there again for another fun session... Btw, my favorite is the last one you presented here: what an awesome shot! 8)

C

celia bule

Very beautiful. I think you could work as a national geographic photographer.

Uncle Frank,

Really fine Snowy Egret shots. They are one of my favorites here in Florida and glad to hear they're out there with you too.

I enjoy all your posts and thanks,

Gaye

Thanks, Gordon and Craig!

Craig, the last shot shows why it's so difficult to catch one of these critters in early stages of flight. If you look at the water droplets below the feet, you'll see they're not dripping down... they're pulled up from the water. The Snowy has very long and springy legs, but they're usually in a crouch. When they go airborne, their first move is to straighten and propel themselves into the air with leg power. It's a huge vertical leap, like an NBA player going for a dunk. And it's almost impossible to anticipate... as you can tell from the crop on my shot :? :oops: 8).

Latest threads

Top Bottom