Snowy Egrets

Noon to 2PM is exactly the wrong time of day to go birding, particularly for white birds, but I managed to
get 5 keepers from my session at the Baylands Preserve on Saturday.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 10447
View attachment 10448
View attachment 10449
View attachment 10450

Holding the highlights on these guys is difficult at any time, but particularly in this kind of harsh lighting.

Nice pics.

Flew said:
Holding the highlights on these guys is difficult at any time, but particularly in this kind of harsh lighting.
The sun was brutal, so the "trick" to avoiding blown highlights was to use a perspective where the
subjects were backlit. It left the birds underexposed, but I adjusted them in Photoshop.

Rather than dodging and burning, I tried a method outlined by Scott Kelby. I created a blank
top layer, blended it in the "soft light" mode, and then unused a feathered white paintbrush
at 20% opacity to lighten the beasties. Worked like a charm!

Thanks, Keith.

I've got a question I've been meaning to ask you for ages. What is the bird in your avatar dropping as it's flying? Thankfully, the objects seem to be coming out of its wings...

LOL

Uncle Frank said:
Thanks, Keith.

I've got a question I've been meaning to ask you for ages. What is the bird in your avatar dropping as it's flying? Thankfully, the objects seem to be coming out of its wings...
ROFLMAO!!!! Frank, yes those are feathers he is loosinggggggggggggg.....
Had me going there for a minute. LOL

Early morning works better UF, I too hate the midday shadows and hard light:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice Frank,

I especially like seeing them with foliage in the image. Makes for a greater picture in my opinion..

(Opinions are like toilet paper, everybody has a roll)

I like the last one because that is a fresh little Snowey. Freshest birdie around..

But oh so beautiful. Favorite bird here. :>))

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the Kelby tip also. My PSCS2 Kelby book should be here in a day or two. :>)))

Layers drive me crazier than I already am. hahahaha VR VR VR VR

Hey Frank,

I see you found the trees behind the duck pond 8) Nicely done in that really bright sunlight! I couldn't believe my eyes when I went there a few weeks back: they were so many youngs, adults and fly-overs every few minutes or so. So, I have got to ask: where are the flyers? :roll: :twisted: :)

Philippe Roger said:
So, I have got to ask: where are the flyers? :roll: :twisted: :)
They were flying all around me, but I couldn't figure out how to meter them in the harsh sunlight, Philippe. Next time, I'll make sure it's a morning or late afternoon session.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom