Snowy Egrets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Very nicely done I know how hard it is to hold the highlights on these guys, I liek the shot of the pair it is very well done

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Holding the highlights on these guys is difficult at any time, but particularly in this kind of harsh lighting.

Nice pics.

3. The sun was brutal, so the "trick" to avoiding blown highlights was to use a perspective where the
    subjects were backlit. It left the birds underexposed, but I adjusted them in Photoshop.

Rather than dodging and burning, I tried a method outlined by Scott Kelby. I created a blank
    top layer, blended it in the "soft light" mode, and then unused a feathered white paintbrush
    at 20% opacity to lighten the beasties. Worked like a charm!

4. Great series and it looks like you managed those exposures beautifully..................

5. Thanks, Keith.

I've got a question I've been meaning to ask you for ages. What is the bird in your avatar dropping as it's flying? Thankfully, the objects seem to be coming out of its wings...

6. LOL

ROFLMAO!!!! Frank, yes those are feathers he is loosinggggggggggggg.....
    Had me going there for a minute. LOL

7. Early morning works better UF, I too hate the midday shadows and hard light:

original.

8. Yeah, but only if you get your butt out of bed. You'd have still been snoring if Reznick hadn't rousted you out :-p.

9. Nah, my aching back wakes me early each morning. :)

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice Frank,

I especially like seeing them with foliage in the image. Makes for a greater picture in my opinion..

(Opinions are like toilet paper, everybody has a roll)

I like the last one because that is a fresh little Snowey. Freshest birdie around..

But oh so beautiful. Favorite bird here. :>))

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the Kelby tip also. My PSCS2 Kelby book should be here in a day or two. :>)))

Layers drive me crazier than I already am. hahahaha VR VR VR VR

11. Hey Frank,

I see you found the trees behind the duck pond 8) Nicely done in that really bright sunlight! I couldn't believe my eyes when I went there a few weeks back: they were so many youngs, adults and fly-overs every few minutes or so. So, I have got to ask: where are the flyers? :roll: :twisted: :)

12. They were flying all around me, but I couldn't figure out how to meter them in the harsh sunlight, Philippe. Next time, I'll make sure it's a morning or late afternoon session.

13. The last three are the ones i like the most. The last one is outstanding for the bird and the grass surrounding it.

14. Great job Frank, I love the last 2 ones.

15. Thanks, Gilles and Yanni!