Snowy Owl BIF; Flyover

Real Name
Dan
Pulled this one from the files while testing software. I'm neither a fan of overhead shots nor of clear blue skies as a BG. But she did give me a look and is a good looking bird.

D810, 500mm f4
1/1600s, f7.1, ISO200

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Dan. Yes, I too can see some small patternlike things in the blue. But If you hadn't mentioned them I would probably haven't noticed them as the bird looks very nice and as soos as I looked at the image my eyes immediately went to the bird.

Real Name
Dan
Hi Dan. Yes, I too can see some small patternlike things in the blue. But If you hadn't mentioned them I would probably haven't noticed them as the bird looks very nice and as soos as I looked at the image my eyes immediately went to the bird.
Thanks, Binnur. Yes the pattern is very subtle, whatever it is. And not really noticeable on casual viewing.
Would a noise reduction of the blue help? THe owl is in a great position plus eyes open!
Thanks, Allan. I ran this one through Topaz AI Sharpen which does NR. The 16 bit version looks good down to full rez. But obviously there is something in the underlying data that comes out during the conversion to 8 bit RGB. Drat. Now it's a mystery to be solved :( I'll try processing without the AI Sharpen and see what it looks like.
I like blue sky BGs and shots from different angles as long as they show eyes and feather detail and your shot does both and very well
Thanks, Randy. I must say that snowies do present well against a blue sky. And as you said it really comes down to position of the bird and the detail.

Something about a white owl with yellow eyes just begs for a blue sky, IMHO. Well done.

Real Name
Dan
Something about a white owl with yellow eyes just begs for a blue sky, IMHO. Well done.
It does beat a hazy white sky.
Superb image Dan, great BG and super detail. I don't see any of the patterns you've mentioned.
The pattern consists of small rectangles equally spaced across the frame. Looks suspiciously like the patter of focus points.
did you change the image because I don't see anything either
No haven't changed it. Very subtle. Doesn't show up until post upload to Zenfolio. I can see the squares there and here on the cafe. Visible on two separate monitors, phone, and tablet.
Awesome shot.............
Thanks, Darrell.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom