Snowy owl in tree

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, Nov 30, 2017.

1. I was on the beach at dawn and saw a snowy owl in the distance. However, before I could get close it flew away. I tried to relocate it without luck for about an hour and was quite disappointed as I began to head home. However, I did locate another one in a tree. Disappointment left. ;)

3 pretty much the same

i-26HvXz4-L.

i-wDmGM7g-L.

i-ZqDRTSX-L.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I hope you know how much you are envied for having Snowy out your way Allan, well done. Beautiful perches and very well captured.

3. Agreed!! I'd love to see one of these in the wild.

These are neat shoots in the tree. Most I've seen have been on the ground.

4. Thanks for the comments. The snowy owl is a pretty bird.

Louie, I feel the same when I see many of your images of eagles.

Mitch, I actually prefer them lower. :)

5. Allan, these are great shots of a beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing with us.

6. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Beautiful shots Allen. What kind of metering did you use?

7. Im with Louie, we will gladly trade you a few hundred Eagles for just a few Snowies. Nice shots in nice light!

8. Thanks. In a month, though, I will stop photographing them for the season. By that time there will be one owl and perhaps 50 photographers. People will be getting too close, trying to spook the owl into flying - a real sad scene.

9. Funny you should ask. I have always used matrix metering, never anything else. Typically, I use auto iso and use -1 exposure compensation on these bright birds. However, I used reikan focal software to fine tune my lens yesterday. This was the first time I used the software and I discovered it made changes to many camera settings. I was aware of many and changed back to my defaults before going out this morning.

But it changed matrix to spot metering and I was unaware of that. I shot -1 ec and it was way too dark. I finally increased ec to +.3 in the field.

To show how good the D850 is at low iso, I had to add around 1.5 stops of exposure to these images in LR.

But to answer your question, I am set up to shoot with matrix metering and auto iso the next time I go out. For snowies I will shoot with -1 stop of ec if the sun is bright.

10. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Thanks Allen. Was not sure just how bright these white birds are. Hoping to get a few down south this year, I hear they are as far as the Carolinas. The D850 is an interesting beast as I find WB, shadows, and highlights to be more accurate and user friendly than what I am used to.

11. Nice work Alan

I’ll trade any of you, 100GBH for 1 eagle and 1 any owl will do

12. I am so envious Allan. Hope we see some this year. Fingers crossed. Very nice shots by the way.

13. I agree. I usually do not bother stopping my car for GBH anymore. ;)

14. I hope you get some out there too. They certainly are handsome birds!