Snowy owl on downed tree

This one was off the road at the sanctuary. As people could not leave the road the crazy photographers who like to get too close were unable to do so. After taking these images I left the area but stopped by 3 hours later on the way home. The owl had not moved, which is the way it should be. Too many captures of flying snowie arecaused by photographers getting too close and disturbing the owl.

_NAA5502.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_NAA5502.jpg

3. I did not get closer - I just used a 2x tc instead of a 1.4.
_NAA5526.jpg

Real Name
Randy
the setting really works
the tree and brown BG are well seen and executed

Real Name
Randy
Thanks Bob. These winter visitors are quite fragile. They need to save energy.

Thanks Bob.

Thanks Randy. It's funny. If people see brown bg too much they wish for snow - and vice versa.
personally I prefer a white bird on a dark BG, at least not the same color. I see lots of snowy pics in the snow but not many w/ a BG that makes the bird stand out

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Very nice captures with the natural environment as background. The owl looks very relaxed.

Real Name
Dan
...Too many captures of flying snowie arecaused by photographers getting too close and disturbing the owl.
Nice shots, Allan. Glad you found one to shoot. Nice compositions and you did well with the lighting.

People intentionally flushing birds in order to get BIF shots is a pet peeve with me.

Nice shots, Allan. Glad you found one to shoot. Nice compositions and you did well with the lighting.

People intentionally flushing birds in order to get BIF shots is a pet peeve with me.
Mine too. I am always suspicious when I see a great flight shot of a snowy owl.

Very nicely done Allan, we're only dreaming of the day these owls will visit the PNW once again.
Thanks Louie. They did not come that often until about 10 years ago. Now we have at least a few each year.

I'm so glad I checked back in on this thread and can now see the images.

Just lovely captures Allan. As has been mentioned, it's a very pleasant change to see such beauties in a contrasting environment rather than all white snow.

I'm so glad I checked back in on this thread and can now see the images.

Just lovely captures Allan. As has been mentioned, it's a very pleasant change to see such beauties in a contrasting environment rather than all white snow.
Thanks Phil. I wonder if it is easier to catch voles when they stand out in white snow or when they are on bare ground?

Thanks Phil. I wonder if it is easier to catch voles when they stand out in white snow or when they are on bare ground?

That's an intriguing question. Snow would make them visible by virtue of contrast, but they could easily burrow. Ground would offer less contrast but less ability to "dig in". Hmmm..... :cool:

Latest threads

Top Bottom