Snowy - tough exposure

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Frits, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Caught this snowy in a tough situation to get proper exposure - bad mix of sun and shade with a very white subject (half in the sun) against a dark background.
    Whipped out the incident light meter and trusted its output.
    Only some minor curves adjustment in Capture à-la-Ron Reznick (really does wonders to this kind of situation - the owl's white tone graduations are so soft and nice).

The result is dead-on methinks.

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awwwww he is so pretty.
    That owl looks so softtttttt (not picture wise ) :>))
    Good job.

I love the softy feathered feet.

I want to to take him home.

3. Frits,

Nice shoot. I've never seen a Snowy. I'm very envious. Let me pass on an exposure rule for white critters that was given to me years ago. Simply spot meter off the lightest part of the bird for which you want to hold some detail and open up one and a third stops. For this shot, that might be just below the head/face.

4. Thanks for the tip Muril, I'll be sure to give that a try.

5. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Yeah but look at the claw, look like a razor blade :)

The eye looks so eerie with all white feathers around it.

--ricardo

6. Yeah, no kidding. Of course he is also just hunkered down when sitting this way. When they rise you can really appreciate the huge legs, paws and claws of these beauties (seen here in another shot I took in the woods ):

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The image is not soft....Just the birdie. Soft as in cudly looking ...yeah

Yes I see the talons

8. Did you shoot this at Cabela's? I'm joking :)

Put Snowy OWL in the subject, makes a world of difference!

I dig it, you did well on the exp, maybe 1/3 off EV in post...

9. Thanks for your comments Brett.
    As for the "Snowy", well, this IS the Birds & Animals forum, not the "Fashion" forum :biggrin: :biggrin: - but of course you're right, a complete subject line would probably have been better.

10. Great job and you are right love the subtle color changes in the owl, very well done, what I would do to see one of these guys in the wild

11. Thank you Mike.
    Just to be clear, this was not shot in the wild but at an animal shelter (the second shot, the owl in a tree, I did shoot in the wild).

12. Very nice exposure Frits. Congrats.
    I'm so jealous of you and Yves having that wildlife preserve at your disposal.

13. Oh that is no concern I would take owls at a perserve too. :biggrin:

14. Beautiful shot of the snowy owl and so hard to find and capture. Well done. If there is any more image ahead of the owl I would show it so as not to have the owl crowding the left side of the frame.

15. Thank you Gordon. Your critique is a valid one. However, as with almost all of my shots, this is "as shot" and entirely uncropped (I like the discipline of shooting that way) - so I cannot correct. I'll try to keep it in mind for the future.