So confused

What am I doing wrong here?

I have a Seagate Free Agent plugged into my iMac that I use to back all of my photos and other information onto. It shows up on my iMac desktop.

Now... I am getting ready to wipe my iMac clean and do a factory restore, as I am getting ready to sell it. When I eject it from my iMac and plug into my Dell laptop it doesn't show up as a connected drive. It does show up in the device manager and it says that it is working properly.

I want to be able to set up my iTunes and see all of my pictures since all of that is located on that external drive, but I can't see it.

What am I doing wrong here?

PS... I'm not jumping ship on Mac, but I never use my 27" iMac and a friend wants to buy it. I will get a MacBook or something like that down the road a ways....

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You probably don't have the drive formatted to work with both Macs and PCs.

Move all the data back to the Mac, then reformat the Seagate drive as FAT32, then put all the data back on it again.

Thank you Richard!

I was afraid that was the problem. I didn't want to have to do that, but I shall do it now.

I appreciate your help. :wink:

You can try this Stef, as I have about 20 external HDD (both 3½” & 2 ½” drives) that I use (don't' ask why so many :rolleyes:), and they will sometimes not show up until I do the procedure below.
I guess in my case, I’m confusing the computer with using so many different type of drives that I plug in.
BTW, I do plug all of them in at one time, maybe 4 - 6 max at any time… :smile:

This is the procedure that I use…

1. Right click on "My Computer" Icon and select Manage.

2. Then select under Storage, "Disk Management".

3. It will sometimes take a few seconds to show all the drives attached to your computer, but if you see one there that is blank, well then right click on it and select "Change Drive Letters & Paths".

4. Select a letter that isn't used, I usually start with the bottom end of the alphabet.

5. Press apply and it will give you a warning but go OK and then that drive letter will been assigned to that external drive...

This may not be your problem, but worth checking this procedure….
Note: You can also enter “Disk Management” from the "Control Panel / Administration Tools" or you can click on the Start Icon (bottom left of taskbar), and type "computer management" in the search bar and then select it...

For what you spent there, you could have started with a good NAS :tongue:

No not really, to get a NAS setup to hold over 20Tb of storage space would have cost me an arm & a leg...
As well as some enclosed external HDD's (for portability), I use internal HDD's (1Tb to 3Tb HDD) which are much cheaper to purchase and a lot easier to store, and are used with a couple of hot swap external units (Vantec 2.5"/3.5" Nexstar USB3), as these HDD's are for either backup or storage and only need to be accessed when required.
Plus I have 7 x 2½” drives (250Gb to 2Tb HDD) which I use for portable data transfer.:smile:

No not really, to get a NAS setup to hold over 20Tb of storage space would have cost me an arm & a leg...
As well as some enclosed external HDD's (for portability), I use internal HDD's (1Tb to 3Tb HDD) which are much cheaper to purchase and a lot easier to store, and are used with a couple of hot swap external units (Vantec 2.5"/3.5" Nexstar USB3), as these HDD's are for either backup or storage and only need to be accessed when required.
Plus I have 7 x 2½” drives (250Gb to 2Tb HDD) which I use for portable data transfer.:smile:

I feel like my geekness has just been pulled out from under me :wink:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom