1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

So, do I return this camera?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by rgordin, Aug 18, 2008.

1. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I just received a "factory refurb" D300 from Cameta Camera. I took a jpg and the file number showed DSC_4097. Yet two EXIF programs show 7 actuations. When I went to setup the camera, the time zone was for England, the date was October 2007 and the software version was 1.0.

Any thoughts on whether the camera falls within Cameta Camera's representation that the factory refurbs have no or "minimal" use? Is it a coincidence that the DSC_4097 ends in a "7," the number which Opanda (my Windows EXIF viewer) and EXIF Viewer (my Apple EXIF viewer) each report as the number of actuations?

Oh, and it came with Capture NX.

Thanks for your help.

2. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    I would contact Cameta directly. They aren't shy about explaining things. I mean they don't need to be, they have a pretty solid eBay presence. I have yet to have any problem with purchasing anything from them.

Plus, if the thing has gone through 4K shutters, thats not so many comparatively speaking.

3. Well its totally hard to say what actuations it has... Nikon say that when they update/fix/refurbish a camera its actuations can return to "0" count.

Whether someone has been playing around in the menu or what (change country etc), you really need to look at the camera closely and if its in like new condition and works with no problems, well I probably would keep it, but if its one of those things that will bug you, return it and ask for another....

Remember that the shutter is rated by Nikon for 150k actuation min, so 4k isn't that big a deal, but its the principal I guess ...
    No easy answer, but one you will have to decide... Good luck mate...

4. Hi Richard.

The file number isn't really useful in this case.

If anybody inserted a card with some images on it, the camera will count +1 and use the next number in the sequence. This doesn't necessarily mean that this camera has this shutter count.

But even if is has, it's no problem at all for any Nikon camera.

Regards,

Mattes

5. good luck
    someone above mentioned their big ebay presence
    but.... one thing you should know.... most of us here wouldn't buy a lens cap from cameta....
    their reputation, i'm afraid.... preceeds them

B&H
    Adorama
    Allen's (in pennsylvania)
    KEH (in Atlanta)

6. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    IMHO, we can debate this but Richard does not get his answer - I also suggest contacting Cameta and see what they say. The D50 and other stuff I have gotten from them was always top notch. Anyone can sell an item - the test is how they handle customer relations.

7. Mattes is right. The file number can be misleading.

8. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for the responses so far. My main concern was the file number of the photo and how to interpret that with the number of actuations.

One plus is that it came with Capture NX. I know it is not NX2 but it gives me a start in processing raw, unless the program really had problems that NX2 corrected.

As far as Cameta's reputation, I looked at past posts and started one myself on the DSLR sub-forum and saw nothing but positive comments. I am surprised to see Greg's comment that most people here would not buy a lens cap from them.

9. I Know people who have bought from them without a problem.....Guess the above comment is just a personal opinion....if the camera works fine, and you got a good price, just go shoot and enjoy......

10. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Cameta's Reputation

I do not agree with the comment on Cameta's reputation. They have an excellent reputation except for a few nay-sayers on this forum. I have dealt with them extensively and they have always provided professional products in a professional manner. I expect UPS to deliver my most recent purchase today.

11. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I bought my D50 from Cameta. When it arrived it looked excellent on the outside. But when I looked through the view finder, something was out of alignment. I called Cameta back and they were very nice. They told me to send the camera back for exhange. No questions no problems at all. The replacement was perfect.

I'd call them and explain your problem to them. Let them explain things to you. I'm sure they'll try to make you happy.

12. Ditto

I bought a "salesmans demo" (refurb) D40 from them on auction and it was a perfect transaction, and I would certainly consider them again on any item where I didn't want a full factory warranty.

13. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Wow. Yea surprised about the Cameta comments. Odd. And indeed, they don't offer the factory warranty, but they do have a store warranty that might satisfy your needs as well.

I say keep the camera.

14. I have bought used lenses from Cameta and found them easy and professional to deal with....except for being a day late in shipping.

15. I have only bought 1 lens from them - and the transaction was smooth - no issues at all

glad it was just a file name issue - you are Good to Go!

16. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Double Dittos here!!!
    I have had nothing but perfect transactions from Cameta and will buy from them again:smile:

17. My past transactions with Cameta were very good.
    They include a brand spanking new D2x that came with a manufacture rebate and full Nikon warranty.
    I would not hesitate to do business with them again.

18. You've said this before Greg, and then backed down when the weight of opinion was against you. I think you should either come clean with the facts you know about Cameta, or be prepared to permanently review your opinion of them.

As I said last time, the only real derogatory comment that I have seen about Cameta is that they sell things on Ebay above list price when in short supply. What peoople seem unable to realise, is that these are auctions, and bidders (unable to wait for a better supply situation) push up the price. I don't see why Cameta should be castigated for this.

Regards,

19. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for everyone's advice. I spoke to Nikon this morning. The tech said that the DSC_XXXX means little. In fact, he said Nikon sometimes set a value on the XXXX to start. So, true or not, and based on a variety of little clues, I will choose to believe the camera has 7 actuations. Perhaps Nikon used a CF card for checking the camera without reformatting.

So now I need to learn how to use the camera. Very different controls from the D40. I thought I was going to lose my mind this morning. I kept using the rear wheel - as you do on the D40 - to set the aperture in the A priority mode but nothing happened. Then I discovered that the D300 has a front wheel for this function. Between the manual and this forum, I hope that I can become proficient before the next decade.

20. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.