1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

So Excited I Could Puke

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ANDS, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Seriously. The anticipation is THAT intense. Did some hunting on various forums for a used D300 and just HAPPENED to wake up on a hot Sunday morning and fired up eBay. Lo and behold new factory sealed D300 for the cost of one used. "No way, this person must have been selling doilies before listing this". To my further surprise individual had perfect feedback, and was selling some really big ticket items. Add that they had two, and someone had purchased before I did (same day) I had to claim it - at the least, I wouldn't be the only sucker to get scammed.

Bad thing, they only ship twice a week yet are in the same state. No whining would get them to ship it to me sooner, even though they already have the cash. . .:mad:  - gonna let them know (after the D300 is in my hot lil hands of course) that they need to make their shipping information clearer, especially since they really do have some good deals on products (500 for a 18-200MM Nikon VR and free shipping).

Add to that they shipped USPS instead of UPS, so the tracking information isn't dynamically updated and instead relies on someone keying in my packages progress, so I am stuck at the "Status: Electronic Shipping Info Received" screen that was generated on the 11th. As such I am overloading my senses by reading every dog gone review, and preview picture and youtube unboxing and anything that can be used to aid in my ability to visually see the camera in my greedy hands.

Only conciliation is that the Sigma 24-60 lens I ordered arrived today so that is at least one part of my immediate future dslr package complete (this thing coming from New York to CA in two days - amazing). Fingers are crossed and double crossed that this outfit gets its act together and actually shipped my package out Wednesday as they said they would and I get it tomorrow for some weekend roaming. Otherwise, I may just have to go supernova and explode in a ridiculous ball of anticipation.

2. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I know a little about USPS scanning -

USPS "Status: Electronic Shipping Info Received" means that the seller generated a label to be put on a package - it does not mean the USPS has ever seen the package - or that the label was addressed to you.

Also, you are correct that the USPS does not dynamically track the package - that would be "Track and Trace" which is not the service the USPS provides - it is Delivery Confirmation or Signature Confirmation (assuming it is Priority Mail). I believe it was the Postal Rate Commision that put the kibosh on the USPS using the term "Track and Trace" in the early days - it was someone outside the company, for sure.

With Priority Mail, the only required scan is the Delivered or Attempted Delivery scan. Any enroute scanning, or Arrival at Unit (Post Office to be delivered) are optional scans. Couple that with the fact that USPS scanners have no radio communication, the data gets updated only once the scanner is cradeled at the end of the day when the carriers return. As a correction, the packages are scanned, not keyed.

USPS is implimenting more and more passive scanning into its mail handling processes, and hooking that information into the tracking system. It is still just a Delivery Confirmation system, however.

Now, that behind us, the seller is most likey legit - if not, you may have a case the USPS Postal Inspection Service can go after - and they do a pretty good job when it comes to Mail Fraud. I do not know for sure, but the fact that a USPS tracking number was given to you may constitute mail fraud, and jail time. That is, of course, the worst case scenario.

Wish you well, my friend.

3. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    This person has a previous history of selling dolls ? If so, it may be a hijacked account. Whenever you see an account which has a history of selling something other than big ticket items, and all of a sudden there are a bunch of listings much below other listings, it could be a stolen account. They usually have 1 or 3 day listings, as they can sell the stuff before ebay catches on. The "we only ship once a week"....etc....line is only to delay you in reporting it. USPS tracking and the old "Electronic shipping notification" is also a delay tactic.

Make sure you check back on the listing to be sure that it is still with Ebay. If it is a stolen account and ebay has caught on, when you click on the item it will likely show "invalid item". I only know because it happened to me with a very small, inexpensive item.

I certainly hope that it works out for you and you enjoy your D300. It is a great camera.

4. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Ha - no they dont have a history of selling dolls. . .from speaking to other customers of seller they got their items, but there is zero communication and the person I talked to mentioned they borked up the shipping. I didn't get the camera today, and something tells me (even though it says shipped on Paypal) that it didnt actually go out - theres no way it could have as we are five hours from each other and theres no way it needs three days to get from LA to Sacramento w/ Priority Shipping.

My biggest problem is that they changed the shipping method from UPS to USPS, and so I'm thinking I might have a case to get reimbursed something. Not trying to be a jerk but man, with eBay communication and customer service are KEY - if something isn't going to go out on a certain day, be up front about it - don't leave your customers in limbo. As much as it sucks, I feel like I need to let people know with a Neg Feedback based on customer service, communication and this USPS nonsense. Ugh - had a trip to Tahoe too that I was wanting to take this thing on.

5. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Too good to be true -

Welp, no camera. Good ole eBay. Had to file claim with PayPal, maybe that will get seller to actually respond to requests (you know those aggrevating totally unwarranted questions like "Hey, have you actually shipped item yet?").

Whats strange is that up to this month, other than sometimes being described as "slow", seller has sterling reputation, no changes in items sold, same page format for all items. Even have PayPal buyer protection which would cover this transaction.

However, the fact that they changed postal method from UPS (trackable) to USPS (non-trackable) has me thinking that theres some trickery going on, trickery I want no part of. Hopefully they refund my money (as they did for another buyer over the weekend) and we can just move on w/o it having to escalate to the big time. Oh well, lesson learned.

6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Sorry to hear, this is why I stay away from ebay.

7. edhu

edhu

Jul 21, 2008
    NY/NJ
    he was looking for scam and he got it.

8. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    sorry to hear that.

yeah if you used a credit card contact the card company and tell them to get your money back...

if not see if you can dispute it with your bank.

so you have the paypal dispute and your card company / banker dispute comin at the seller. you WILL get your money back.

again, sorry to hear that, ebay used to be a good place to get stuff, but now it's turned into a scam cesspool. I car nothing for them or paypal. the most useless bunch of people i've ever seen.

sorry for the rant all.

hope it works out for you man. keep us posted, a name of the seller would be appreciated if you feel like giving it out.

9. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Reminds me of a saying Steve Martin came up with in the movie Out of Towners. "Only in New York". Geesh, Only on *bay.

Goodluck getting the cash back!

10. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Im not sure its a "Scam" so much as it is a wholesale buying/money floating situation. I looked at the over 200 other completed auctions and most people got their items within two weeks (assuming one leaves positive feedback within a day or two of item receipt); this to me suggests that the seller doesn't actually have the items on hand, but is possibly bulk listing items with the knowledge that they will use the "funds" to purchase the items from w/e direct mailing/wholesame business they have going on.

That's the only thing I can think of that makes any kind of sense here. The fellow I emailed over the weekend asked for a refund when it appeared his camera wasn't shipped. They then told him that the camera body was damaged and issued him a complete refund.

Was paid through bank, as card has a limit on what can be charged on it - but I'm hoping that just issuing the PayPal Dispute will light some kind of fire underneath them to resolve the situation (Im still open to actually getting the camera) or just quickly refund my money.

The sellers name is online_express_sales_center. If you click on the link you will see their feedback and that this "slow shipping" "no shipping/refund" dance has happened before, and that within last month has increased. What frustrates me off is that they DO have good deals that HAVE gone through all nice and easy! And weird - I just looked on PayPal, and they have a phone number, gonna call that and see what I get. Even if this turns out to be the WORST customer service company in existence, I'm leaving the Neg. feedback I left - sellers gotta know you can't NOT respond to emails even if you dont think the buyer has a legit complaint.

I have a question though - does PayPal hold on to money for a certain period of time before you can transfer it from PayPal to your bank account or w/e. And when I went to open the "dispute", I got some message that said "Can't send message to user" and I guess it automatically got kicked up to the PayPal people instead of "Seller/Buyer" resolve issue phase.

11. I probably miss out on some good deals but my philosophy is "if it's too good to be true then it probably isn't true". Good luck with your claim!

12. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    The funny thing was, I thought the auction was for a used camera. The price was exactly what people were paying on forums - I jumped on it because the seller was located in CA as well, so I figured "quick shipping"! It was only when I got the notice that they only did two day a week shipping (to give them wiggle room to float the money), and when my item was shipped USPS instead of UPS that I started to contact other sellers to get info on their transactions.

Live and learn. If I get my money back, just going to get a "factory demo" from Camera Cameras and be done with it.

13. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Wow - I wish I could be that carefree about my money..."If I get my money" I would be screaming at anyone that would listen if it were my cash on the line. Things like this are exactly why I never deal with ebay and especially for something like a camera of this value.

Next up - why bother with a "factory demo" at this point. Just buy a new one from a reputable dealer like B&H. . .You have been burnt once - why take the chance again.:confused: 

14. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Yea, I could hoot and holler, but most likely its not going to expedite anything. Right now best option is to let PayPal do their thing and just relax and what happens happens I suppose.

As for Cameta, I've gotten all my camera bodies from them actually so Im not worried about them; in fact I just got a new lens from them. I'd rate them on the same level as B&H to be perfectly honest, except they deal in factory demo/refurbished bodies exclusively (I've yet to see a "new" body in a Cameta auction).

15. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Still would not mess with refurbished anything at this point. Cash is cash and it's hard to come by.

Good luck - I honestly hope everything works out.

16. jdbishop

jdbishop

Apr 25, 2007
    Katy, TX
    For the life of me I will never understand how otherwise seemingly intelligent people will order anything from EBAY. There are numerous outstanding legitimate camera stores doing business online with excellent reputations. I guess you get what you pay for.

17. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    Well, I bought a perfect 50mm on eBay, and a rather dusty 24-85mm (though the dust doesn't show on images, and they did offer to take it back).

Regular reading of auctions and feedback soon gives one an idea of the dealers who appear trustworthy. But I don't understand how anybody would be willing to risk paying big money for an almost new lens from a private seller. People have also been caught out by the non-transferable warranty.

Frustrated by the fact that few UK sellers are willing to deal abroad, I took a look at the eBay discussion forums the other day in search of an explanation. It seems that it's not just buyers who risk problems. I was shocked to read warnings of the various scams that are being used to rip off unwary sellers.

18. ANDS

ANDS

Aug 2, 2008
    Sacramento
    Yea, I saw the scams and how "easy" it is for a Seller to get hosed by a Buyer who knows how to work PayPals "Buyer Protection" scheme.

However, I have had numerous dealings online through eBay and as "good" as B&H and the likes prices are, they can't beat the price or availability of "used" goods on eBay. Do you run into the situation I am in. Sure. As of now the sellers feedback is getting mutilated as sellers are realizing that "hey. . .something isn't right here." Thankfully PayPal Buyer Protection was in effect for this auction so I will be taking advantage of that. Hopefully though, PayPal goes after this fellow and sticks it to him/her hard, but I'm not going to allow one frustrating experience turn me off from the ridiculous deals that can be had on eBay. That'd be just cutting off the nose to spite the face.

19. the answer my friend is blowin in the wind.....

Forget about ebay

20. as dave said...
    forget ebay

when it seems that you are getting a great bargain.... on a HOT camera
    your common sense should have taken over

that guy took your money and is now on vacation somewhere talking about YOU
    good luck with getting a refund
    please give us an update

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.