So, has anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by D.R.Barnhart, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Using an older EN-EL3 in the D200?

They're the same voltage, same size...

Just to tide "me/us" over until the "e" batteries are available?

Dennis

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The older batteries won't fit. There is an interlock to prevent this. The new battery is backwards compatible with D50/D70/D70s/D100, though.

3. Ah-ha!!!

I compared the two types a little more closely and I see what you mean. The cut out next to the contacts is a different shape thus preventing the older batteries from sliding all the way into the D200.

I hate when I ask a stupid question...

Thanx, Bjørn!

4. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Related Question

Here's a related question: has any got the new vertical power-grip yet (I'm not even sure if they've shipped yet) and will it exclusively take the new batteries?

5. One other note, which is also mentioned in the manual, is that the CR3 Battery Holder for the D70 will not fit either.

Now I just need the grip and another battery..........

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Me, I'm waiting for someone to carve up an older battery to get it to fit the new camera. Y'know, carefully re-notching that area to make it accessible to the battery bay on the D200, sliding one in, and then turning the camera on.

Someone other than me, that is. :rolleyes: :wink: :eek:

John P.

7. Silly question because I think I am missing something. I purchased 3 extra batteries for my D70 which have subsequently been recalled. Are you telling me that the replacements from Nikon will work with the D200??

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes, probably since it seems Nikon replace the faulty units with EN-EL3e

9. Hmmm - I wonder why they(Nikon) did this? That is, EN-EL3a does not work in D200?

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Simple explanation. The new battery has a built-in microchip surveying battery and reporting back to the camera (# shots taken, % charge left, calibration status, end-of-life warning). To this end there is a third contact pin on the battery and a corresponding receptable in the battery chamber. The old batteries lack this information and without the chip, the camera refuses to run.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I wonder, does a short to + or short to - or some resistance between all 3 result in a batery that will run the camera, yet not report proper usage data? That would mean there could be a simple and tiny adapter. One would need either the design specs for the d200 or about 5 d200's to smoke while testing...

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Smoke your own Chris :smile:

We don't know yet whether the entire isse of low battery shooting capacity is one of gauge calibration of the chip - since nobody seems to have run the camera until it stops responding, then recharging. For my ongoing long-term noise tests I run the D200 from the mains. I noticed that the battery meter dropped from 96% to 80% after 10 hours at -10 C, even though the camera was mains powered so there should be no drain at all of the battery.

By the way no noise at 4 hours exposure with D200.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I found out that D200 does NOT run a subtracting exposure of the same duration as the original one. In fact, the dark-frame is taken in HALF the time of the original exposure.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Cool (oops,)

I've a peltier powered 6-pack cooler that fits a dslr perfectly. Might it be useful for a noise reducer? And, um, I've always found it better to experiment at the expense of a capitalist (or taxpayer, as the case may be. :wink:)

> And Paul wrote:
    > Most of these "chips" are now PIC-like basically a sensor with a
    > controller with a variety of responses via a protocol - so, I'd be very
    > surprised if a straight connection (even via a resistor) would work,
    > unless there is a "get you home" fall-back mode for a failed PIC-like
    > chip.
    >
    > cheers, Paul. (They are very easy to use - and dirt cheap too)

Interesting. Nearly all of my ML programming has been done making Forth compilers, and parts that connect to them. I don't think I'd even know what to do with a stackless processor. Anyway, I suspect there isn't a simple batery adapter now, so ... nevermind. They say that (camera) smoking is bad for you anyway.

17. kjoosten

kjoosten

May 1, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Four hours, no noise????

Has Nikon made an astrophotography camera, or does this only work in Norway in December?

18. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Don't know. Yet. Working on the tests.

Seems D200 has the doubtful honour of sharing with D2H the same 16 bit counter overflow issue. This means the measuring of exposure time overflows after 109 minutes 13.5 seconds, and obviously will impact the resulting noise reduction from the following dark frame. But as earlier noted, D200 "cheats" by not doing the dark frame over an elapsed time, my measurements indicate it cuts the duration into half.

19. re: The Battery Recall - and a question

I just go off the phone with Nikon, turns out that one of my D70 batteries qualifies, and I was told it is 50-50 whether you get an EL-EN3a or EL-EN3e in return. I asked, no BEGGED, for special consideration to recieve the 3e, but all to no avail. Now I wait a couple of weeks to see which shows up, keeping my fingers crossed.

Bjorn, and anyone else much more electrically inclined than I. I see that the AC Adapter is the same for the D2H/X as well as the D200. Does this imply that the Digital Camera Batteries, which also connect the same as the AC adapter, should work fine with the D200 using the D2H/X cord?

Thanks,

20. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Not familiar with said product, but it's hard to believe that the camera should notice any difference if the battery plugs into the AC receptable. I've run D200 on mains (EH-6) for about 24 hours consecutively and it hasn't objected - yet.

And my battery stress tests are a torture to me as well. Passing 4000 exposures now (1 sec intervals) so my head is filled with a monotone drone of clicking sounds. Ugh. I hate the idea of repeating the experiment outdoors at -10C, but have no real choice in the matter. What one does for the sake of a review :mad: